Running a Yellow RCA witre to the radio 2011 Rm SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

500rider86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey,

I just recently bought an 11 Ram SLT. I'm replacing the radio to a pioneer this week and it allows for up to 2 camera's to be plugged in. I found a camera that connects to the license plate on amazon (Esky). I found plenty of videos showing me where to splice my towing wires to connect the camera to the backup lights, but nothing on how to actually run the yellow wire to the radio from the rear. I did find the following pictures in the installation of the factory camera. I'm sure I'm not the first to run a yellow cable to behind the radio, does anyone care to share the route they used?

Thanks!

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 70

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, wire loom the whole thing. Then route it along the drivers side of the car, starting along the factory wiring behind the rear tire, once you get to the rear tire, just follow the parking brake all the into the cab. Zip tie every 6" or so.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you have a cc or i believe or maybe a qc also there is a large rubber empty gromet in the under the rear seat drivers side that you can go from the outside in.

what module are you using for the radio? most modules have a reverse signal built into them so i would use that to power the cam and trip the radio input. if you have to run a wire from the rear tail lights make sure to only use it as a trigger to trip a relay. even the slightest current draw on circuits now days can turn on a CEL

OP
OP

500rider86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks everyone!

I started by crawling under the truck to look for grommets that were not being used. I have a regular cab, but I did locate the one mentioned above under the seat. I thought about using that one, but I really wanted one closer to the radio destination.

So I popped the hood and looked at the engine on the driver side and struck some luck. Looks like I had a hole that was plugged with a wide plastic piece. I'm not sure what option the hole was for. But I took a drill and poked right through it. I ran the wire through to the new hole and it came into the truck above the feet area. It was an easy run from there to the radio. I ran a second cable from the there to the radio as well in case I decide to add a second front camera later (pioneer can support up to 2 cameras).

From the engine I ran it behind the battery and down in front of the driver side wheel well. From there it was tucking it back behind the wheel well and zip tying it off all the way down the truck. After that was done I had to wire power to the license plate camera. I've seen many posts and a few videos of people using the reverse wire in the hitch. I looked at my hitch wires, but decided it was easier to pull the tail light. So a couple of screws later it was off. I peeled back the harness wire protector and stripped both the positive and ground wire back on the reverse light. wrapped the positive and the negative around the respective wires and soldered it, then wrapped it all up in electrical tape.

Won't have the radio put in until tomorrow. Can take pictures if anyone else needs them.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the radio will have to be triggered with a reverse trigger also. if you are using a module usually the modules have that built into them. this must be done, something has to tell the radio your in reverse.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone!

I started by crawling under the truck to look for grommets that were not being used. I have a regular cab, but I did locate the one mentioned above under the seat. I thought about using that one, but I really wanted one closer to the radio destination.

So I popped the hood and looked at the engine on the driver side and struck some luck. Looks like I had a hole that was plugged with a wide plastic piece. I'm not sure what option the hole was for. But I took a drill and poked right through it. I ran the wire through to the new hole and it came into the truck above the feet area. It was an easy run from there to the radio. I ran a second cable from the there to the radio as well in case I decide to add a second front camera later (pioneer can support up to 2 cameras).

From the engine I ran it behind the battery and down in front of the driver side wheel well. From there it was tucking it back behind the wheel well and zip tying it off all the way down the truck. After that was done I had to wire power to the license plate camera. I've seen many posts and a few videos of people using the reverse wire in the hitch. I looked at my hitch wires, but decided it was easier to pull the tail light. So a couple of screws later it was off. I peeled back the harness wire protector and stripped both the positive and ground wire back on the reverse light. wrapped the positive and the negative around the respective wires and soldered it, then wrapped it all up in electrical tape.

Won't have the radio put in until tomorrow. Can take pictures if anyone else needs them.

Do you have an auto trans? Sounds like you may have ran your wires through the piece that covers where the clutch would've gone in a manual. This was were many of us have ran cabling from an aftermarket amplifier to the battery.

If you haven't already, recommend finding a grommet to put around the hole to help seal this up and keep water from getting into your cab.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would be surprised if your back-up camera triggers consistently. I would wire in a relay as Baum said. Sounds like you took the long route, but as long it is in a safe path you that is all that matters.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey,

I just recently bought an 11 Ram SLT. I'm replacing the radio to a pioneer this week and it allows for up to 2 camera's to be plugged in. I found a camera that connects to the license plate on amazon (Esky). I found plenty of videos showing me where to splice my towing wires to connect the camera to the backup lights, but nothing on how to actually run the yellow wire to the radio from the rear. I did find the following pictures in the installation of the factory camera. I'm sure I'm not the first to run a yellow cable to behind the radio, does anyone care to share the route they used?

Thanks!

Let us know how you like the camera. I am looking into getting a camera myself but not sure which to get. I am thinking of getting the small esky bullet camera and install into tailgate handle but still looking for options. How is the quality?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let us know how you like the camera. I am looking into getting a camera myself but not sure which to get. I am thinking of getting the small esky bullet camera and install into tailgate handle but still looking for options. How is the quality?

Thats what I did on my old 13. However i brought the signal into the factory 8.4.

Biggest complaint i had going off of the reverse lights was sometimes it wasnt in focus when i start to go in reverse as the cam just tripped. If i was to do it again i would power the cam itself off of a ignition source so the cam itself is on when the truck is on. Also on some aftermarket radios i believe you can turn the rear cam on at any time. if this is the case and you went off of the reverse lights for the cam power, it wouldnt be on unless you were in reverse.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats what I did on my old 13. However i brought the signal into the factory 8.4.

Biggest complaint i had going off of the reverse lights was sometimes it wasnt in focus when i start to go in reverse as the cam just tripped. If i was to do it again i would power the cam itself off of a ignition source so the cam itself is on when the truck is on. Also on some aftermarket radios i believe you can turn the rear cam on at any time. if this is the case and you went off of the reverse lights for the cam power, it wouldnt be on unless you were in reverse.

How did you like the quality of the camera? Also, how was it's durability to weather / car washes / opening and closing of the tailgate? I'm just curious if these cameras are more of a "get what you pay for" kind of thing since they range from $20 to $40

Also good call on the wiring. I would hope their is a way to wire to both switched 12V and reverse. That way the camera could be used at anytime with my head unit, as well as triggered by the reverse wire to automatically come into view.

I've never messed with car cameras before so this is uncharted territory

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I installed a front camera on my 8.4 radio. It was a pain in the ass to go through the side of that double walled boot and also not damage the other wires that passed through it. It's easier to go through the hard plastic clutch plate blank next to it (drill a hole).

Here's my install post, using an Esky camera (function/setup are very good) ....
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1464930

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a front camera on my 8.4 radio. It was a pain in the ass to go through the side of that double walled boot and also not damage the other wires that passed through it. It's easier to go through the hard plastic clutch plate blank next to it (drill a hole).

Here's my install post, using an Esky camera (function/setup are very good) ....
Installing OEM backup cam - Page 117 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Nice install! Camera quality? Any issues with it?

I have 4awg cable going thru the clutch plate for my amp so I'm not sure if this would introduce interference into the video signal or not. Otherwise I would gladly go thru there and not have to fight any boots like you did.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Nice install! Camera quality? Any issues with it?

I have 4awg cable going thru the clutch plate for my amp so I'm not sure if this would introduce interference into the video signal or not. Otherwise I would gladly go thru there and not have to fight any boots like you did.
Esky Camera works well, the best part of this one is the single configuration button vs cutting wire loops. The factory 8.4 radio display has a lower resolution (ie 420 x 680) than most aftermarket radios so it's not a great comparison. There is a video link in my post of the actual camera in use.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Esky Camera works well, the best part of this one is the single configuration button vs cutting wire loops. The factory 8.4 radio display has a lower resolution (ie 420 x 680) than most aftermarket radios so it's not a great comparison. There is a video link in my post of the actual camera in use.

Got it. I missed the video link. I have a pioneer avh-4200 with 800x400 res so that's fairly comparable. I assume most aftermarket rcvrs have similar if not the same res.

Do you have any issues with fogging or water intrusion? Imagine if you seal up with some rtv it shouldn't be an issue.

May have to start "another" camera thread since we started hijacking this one!

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok just watched your video and the camera looks good for what it costs. The 8.4 setup is pretty nice too.

OP
OP

500rider86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
the radio will have to be triggered with a reverse trigger also. if you are using a module usually the modules have that built into them. this must be done, something has to tell the radio your in reverse.

I wired it from my interface which had the reverse wire on it. All appears to be working good right now. I'm not so sure about the esky reverse cam. Sure it works okay, but the video quality is no where near as good as the factory cam on my car. Of course, the camera only cost like $30 though so I can't expect to much.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you like the quality of the camera? Also, how was it's durability to weather / car washes / opening and closing of the tailgate? I'm just curious if these cameras are more of a "get what you pay for" kind of thing since they range from $20 to $40

Also good call on the wiring. I would hope their is a way to wire to both switched 12V and reverse. That way the camera could be used at anytime with my head unit, as well as triggered by the reverse wire to automatically come into view.

I've never messed with car cameras before so this is uncharted territory

I used a cheap 30 amazon bullet cam. I took off the plate on the inside of the tailgate and you have full access to the handle. Image was good, when i traded it in they thought it was factory. only way you could tell it wasnt was because i didnt have the moving grid lines. I think the brand i had was crime stopper.

All cams (aftermarket) are only a 12+ and a ground wire plus the video. you can either go to a ignition source like i recommend or the reverse lights. using both is not necessary as your ignition is on long before you go in reverse.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used a cheap 30 amazon bullet cam. I took off the plate on the inside of the tailgate and you have full access to the handle. Image was good, when i traded it in they thought it was factory. only way you could tell it wasnt was because i didnt have the moving grid lines. I think the brand i had was crime stopper.

All cams (aftermarket) are only a 12+ and a ground wire plus the video. you can either go to a ignition source like i recommend or the reverse lights. using both is not necessary as your ignition is on long before you go in reverse.

baum....thanks for the insight! I'll have to check out crime stopper and see what they have now. Still looking for options.

jlmjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also purchased the Esky rear backup license plate camera for my 2014 QC. Running the RCA wire to the radio wasn't my issue. I'm struggling with where to wire into the reverse lights. I wanted to hook into the trailer wiring harness but don't know which wire to use.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also purchased the Esky rear backup license plate camera for my 2014 QC. Running the RCA wire to the radio wasn't my issue. I'm struggling with where to wire into the reverse lights. I wanted to hook into the trailer wiring harness but don't know which wire to use.
You can either use a meter or a test light to find which pins have switched 12V.