Sealing the rear of the speaker mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A thread over at DIYMA had me thinking. We are pretty fortunate to have the plastic speaker mount on our doors unlike other vehicles. The mount is both strong and pretty deep but has anyone tried to seal the back of the mount to see if it would improve mid-bass?

Just thinking out-loud really but was wondering if anyone attempted before I do because I "Gots to Know".

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought about it. Basically making a sealed enclosure in the door is what ur saying?

With our trucks, it would be difficult bc the window comes down so far. Or you could cut the bottom of the door panel off and make an enclosure that mounts to the door. Kinda like that pod I built for the 4 x 6.5"s. Except that one wasn't sealed.

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're both smoking what I am rolling. ;)

Speakers around this size call for .4' to .6' cubic ft. sealed enclosure, depending on tuned frequency. If one were to just create a back cap if you will that attached from the inside of the door to create a seal what kind of air space size would that create.....without hindering the window?

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
.6 doesn't seem like much, but I don't think it would be enough room back there. My enclosure for the 2 SIs is 1cu ft. I don't think we would be able to fit half that in the door without major surgery.

Now pass that $hit...

Thmupr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. What about vented?

Vented would have to be even larger...

I've made enclosures about the size of our 6x9 openings before.. Never had as much luck with that as I did just sealing up and deadening the inner door panel.

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
I think your better off just sealing the door correctly then trying to build an enclosure that wouldn't be the right size. Most car audio specific speakers have been designed to be mounted in the door. IB

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. Some quick math says it will not work so the door seal thing is definitely the route to go.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm sure with the right driver and some work, you can make it happen. But I've seen such good results with just solid deadening and trying to seal up the door like lizardking said, there's really no need. Unless ur like me, and just like building crap into places it shouldn't belong.

If I remember correctly, lizard king shared a link to how he sealed his doors. Maybe he'll post it up and give u some pointers

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure with the right driver and some work, you can make it happen. But I've seen such good results with just solid deadening and trying to seal up the door like lizardking said, there's really no need. Unless ur like me, and just like building crap into places it shouldn't belong.

If I remember correctly, lizard king shared a link to how he sealed his doors. Maybe he'll post it up and give u some pointers

Agreed. I just ordered some IB midbass/sub 6x9's from CDT Audio (I'm a fanboy of their speakers). (690cf). Probably run 60hz to 800hz with a 12db crossover on both ends.

Would like to see what Lizard King did. COmpared to other cars I've done, the Ram has a great starting point for some solid low end midbass in the doors.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I think your better off just sealing the door correctly then trying to build an enclosure that wouldn't be the right size. Most car audio specific speakers have been designed to be mounted in the door. IB

I'd have to agree with this...going with a sealed enclosure for midbass will have its own sound signature that you may or may not like. It kinda depends on the speaker and how it performs in a sealed configuration. It kinda goes hand in hand with subwoofer enclosures EI sealed versus IB....many who know far more than myself claim that IB is the "better version of sealed"....
IB thrives on developing great output REALLY low when it comes to subwoofers, but tend to fall off in upper frequencies (again speaker specific)...midbass performance may resemble those characteristics....we all want more midbass....IB tends to generate that versus a sealed enclosure.....as usual, they are many variables in this equation...

Thmupr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. I just ordered some IB midbass/sub 6x9's from CDT Audio (I'm a fanboy of their speakers). (690cf). Probably run 60hz to 800hz with a 12db crossover on both ends.

Would like to see what Lizard King did. COmpared to other cars I've done, the Ram has a great starting point for some solid low end midbass in the doors.

AmoAgave, did you get the CDT's installed? I'm thinking of trying a set of their components..