This seem like a decent audio setup? Or????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdwaynes1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory sound system in my '13 is terrible. I need more volume, more bass, and better quality, but I'd like to stay in the $500 range.

Was wondering what folk's thoughts were on this possible setup, or if anyone had any better suggestions for the same price range. This does not include a sub amp or subwoofer as I'm not sure I'm going that route yet or not. If I do, it will be in addition to this stuff. I don't really care about brand, even though all of these happen to be Kicker.

I was thinking of this amp:

Kicker 12CX300.4 4-channel car amplifier — 40 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

with these in the front doors:

Kicker 40CSS654 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

and these in the rear doors:

Kicker 40CS6934 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

and these on the dash:

Kicker 40CS354 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
personally i would stay away from kicker i know you are trying to keep a budget of $500 but you get what you pay for.

Also i see you have 6.5 components mentioned, where do you plan to mount the tweeter?

i would suggest running large format tweeters in the dash and some decent 6.5 dedicated mid bass drivers in the doors and running it all active on an active capable 4-channel

Bkhsvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the Pioneer D series components. They are pretty aweome. I would invest the money into the speakers and amp forget about the 3.5s for a wile. I personally took mine out. Acoustically I don't think they make much sense.

OP
OP
jdwaynes1980

jdwaynes1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
personally i would stay away from kicker i know you are trying to keep a budget of $500 but you get what you pay for.

Also i see you have 6.5 components mentioned, where do you plan to mount the tweeter?

i would suggest running large format tweeters in the dash and some decent 6.5 dedicated mid bass drivers in the doors and running it all active on an active capable 4-channel

The mounting bracket from Crutchfield has a spot for tweeter mounting.

Any specific brands/models for your suggestions?

Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
jdwaynes1980

jdwaynes1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out the Pioneer D series components. They are pretty aweome. I would invest the money into the speakers and amp forget about the 3.5s for a wile. I personally took mine out. Acoustically I don't think they make much sense.

I'll definitely look into them.

Thanks for the reply!

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
arc audio
massive audio
diamond
cdt
image dynamics
infinity
hertz
focal
morel
rainbow

lots of choices have been big into car audio for awhile now and havent touched kicker, JL, etc... for a long time. just not enough performance for your buck. if you give me an exact budget i would be more than happy to suggest you individual items.

OP
OP
jdwaynes1980

jdwaynes1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
arc audio
massive audio
diamond
cdt
image dynamics
infinity
hertz
focal
morel
rainbow

lots of choices have been big into car audio for awhile now and havent touched kicker, JL, etc... for a long time. just not enough performance for your buck. if you give me an exact budget i would be more than happy to suggest you individual items.

Wow. I haven't done any audio system stuff since the late 90's. Seems things have changed a good bit since then.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I'd like to stay around the $500 mark for everything except subwoofer, sub amp, and head unit. I'm not really firm on that, was just the number I budgeted myself for an audio upgrade.

Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Wow. I haven't done any audio system stuff since the late 90's. Seems things have changed a good bit since then.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I'd like to stay around the $500 mark for everything except subwoofer, sub amp, and head unit. I'm not really firm on that, was just the number I budgeted myself for an audio upgrade.

Your suggestions are much appreciated!

ill be looking into new equipment for my 2015 RCSB so ill let you know what i come up with

ksredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill be running jbl608c's. They are amazing components for less than 100.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i put those kickers in my dash and the olms are to low, I Had major clipping from factory head unit, and figured that out after swapping my head unit...

RawCustomsMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l V6
Def stay away from the CS line from kicker that is entry level stuff and as already mentioned you get what you pay for.
Instead of buying all at one time spread it out so you can buy better stuff. It's going to be tough to stay under $500 because you're def gonna wanna amp.
just my .02 cents
Bernie

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Check out sonicelectronix. They have some decent pioneer 4 channel amps that put out much more power than that kicker for less money. If you get 2 Ohm speakers, you can spend a little less on the amp to get the same power output.

The brand's Ryan mentioned are probably out of your price range or at least at the very top of it. They're certainly known for SQ builds.

6x9's should give a better bass response than 6.5 components, but most people say the 6x9's loose some sound quality due to uneven forces on the cone. Ultimately, more surface area plus excursion should yield more bass. I like the pioneer TS-D6902R but you may need to check your mounting depth. If you go that route you will need the more expensive 4 channel pioneer amp or something that can push 100w RMS x 4 in 4 Ohm. They are a little smelly at first but they sound nice and warm in my opinion.

I think you will be unhappy with the amount of bass any "component/coax" speaker produces. But start with that before going crazy right? If space is an issue, consider a small 8 inch under seat pre-fab sub or a bass cannon if they still make those. You can always run a pair of 3.5's of your aftermarket headunit's internal amp and run the RCA's to an amp.

BLKMAGIC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive been in the process of going through what your going through for a couple months now...I decided on PPI P.65C3 components...did a lot of research, and talked to a few people on here and DIYMA. Ended up narrowing it down to Hertz, Focal, or the PPI I ended up with. I found an Alpine 4 channel lightly used locally, and so far for the 3 way components and amp I am into it for under $300. I'm starting with just the front, leaving the OEM rear just for fill, will upgrade those down the line.

Do some research....I haven't installed my components yet, waiting for my LOC to come in this week and I will be doing the install this weekend, but there has been a lot of excitement in the SQ community regarding the PPI, putting them on par with, and sometimes above, the higher end Hertz, Focal, and DLS. You can get them on Amazon for $230 shipped.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
i put those kickers in my dash and the olms are to low, I Had major clipping from factory head unit, and figured that out after swapping my head unit...

I dont think that was your issue. 4 ohm is very normal in car audio.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Def stay away from the CS line from kicker that is entry level stuff and as already mentioned you get what you pay for.
Instead of buying all at one time spread it out so you can buy better stuff. It's going to be tough to stay under $500 because you're def gonna wanna amp.
just my .02 cents
Bernie

Amp test begs to differ, you get way more than what you pay for. And this guy doesnt like Kicker either, but test are test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDP57MDuRc

The CS/CX is PERFECT for stock replacement and small upgrades, I'd compare it to about any other entry level stuff.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory sound system in my '13 is terrible. I need more volume, more bass, and better quality, but I'd like to stay in the $500 range.

Was wondering what folk's thoughts were on this possible setup, or if anyone had any better suggestions for the same price range. This does not include a sub amp or subwoofer as I'm not sure I'm going that route yet or not. If I do, it will be in addition to this stuff. I don't really care about brand, even though all of these happen to be Kicker.

I was thinking of this amp:

Kicker 12CX300.4 4-channel car amplifier — 40 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

with these in the front doors:

Kicker 40CSS654 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

and these in the rear doors:

Kicker 40CS6934 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

and these on the dash:

Kicker 40CS354 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Personally I have kicker ksc-35 in the dash and the doors I have the Alpine SPR-69s. Direct fit no drilling the factory holes line up perfect with the speaker mounting screw holes. Sound awesome.

RawCustomsMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l V6
Amp test begs to differ, you get way more than what you pay for. And this guy doesnt like Kicker either, but test are test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDP57MDuRc

The CS/CX is PERFECT for stock replacement and small upgrades, I'd compare it to about any other entry level stuff.

I've installed these speakers a lot and just my opinion they sound cheap and if your into car audio you will spend a little more to get some ting a lot better. Just my .02 cents.
Bernie

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I've installed these speakers a lot and just my opinion they sound cheap and if your into car audio you will spend a little more to get some ting a lot better. Just my .02 cents.
Bernie

Well if you want high end sound, yes, of course you will need to spend more. You cant expect to purchase entrey level and expect high end sound. The CS lineup is one of the biggest sellers. Awesome for small upgrade from factory.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty happy with my sound setup. I think in a couple of years, I might upgrade to 6x9 on the doors. I know that will give me big bang for the bucks. I do have to eventually replace my amp....sometimes it cuts out on me, but if I keep it at a good level, it sounds great.

Without my head unit, I was definitely under $500, but I carried stuff over from my old charger rt, so I saved some bucks.

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4
*Bilstein 2.8" front
*Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer
*Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit
*Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers
*Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4)
*fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats
*2-12" alpine subs (swe -1243l
*500 watt alpine mono sub
*LED 3rd tail light smoked
*Spyder LED smokes tail lights
havent even started on the engine..lol

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Arod, I'm curious about your setup. Do you have your 6.5s and 3.5s running off the pioneer?