Sirius sounds like skipping CD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Uconnect 8.4a with the latest software release (for 2014 models).

Has anyone experienced a problem with Sirius/XM sounding like a skipping CD? It happens on all channels. Just started a couple days ago. I have tried pulling the fuses to reset everything but this didn't work.

Rayman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 limited 5th gen
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 speed automatic transmission
Hope that works for you.

OP
OP
C

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Three attempts at sending a "refresh" and the problem is still occurring. Time for a trip to the dealer. :manos:

Copatlarge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
mine did that, the antenna was loose. snapped it in and works fine. if it doesnt have a strong signal it will do that.

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine did that, the antenna was loose. snapped it in and works fine. if it doesnt have a strong signal it will do that.

What location was loose? Roof/dash? I think mine is starting to do this.

OP
OP
C

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got my truck into the dealer. The dealer I went to required an appointment and they are running over two weeks out. Anyway, the tech checked it out and says the stereo needs to be replaced. His claim was there have been a large number of people experiencing this problem. This is a Chrysler, Jeep, Ram, Dodge dealer, so I am guessing they see it in the other brands as well. The part is on order. Let's see how much longer it takes. :sleepy10:

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey guys, how much and how often is this happening. I had siri/xm in my silverado and the only time it would ever go out was during heavy tree coverage from above and or close to or near taller buildings.

i have a 2015 sport and have had this happen on rare occasions. the music will skip out or get interupted for a second or two and then come back. The times that it has happened, ive noticed either taller buildings in the area or some thick, taller trees overhead. I have not paid much attention to it until reading this post. I have had a few instances where i thought to myself, "these trees arent that bad, or the buildings are not that tall or close together where it should block signals......", but who knows.

My radio doenst exactly seem like a malfunction, but it has me wondering now. It has me thinking, "Did my old xm radio do it in these areas" I cant remeber !!!!

OP
OP
C

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey guys, how much and how often is this happening. I had siri/xm in my silverado and the only time it would ever go out was during heavy tree coverage from above and or close to or near taller buildings.

i have a 2015 sport and have had this happen on rare occasions. the music will skip out or get interupted for a second or two and then come back. The times that it has happened, ive noticed either taller buildings in the area or some thick, taller trees overhead. I have not paid much attention to it until reading this post. I have had a few instances where i thought to myself, "these trees arent that bad, or the buildings are not that tall or close together where it should block signals......", but who knows.

My radio doenst exactly seem like a malfunction, but it has me wondering now. It has me thinking, "Did my old xm radio do it in these areas" I cant remeber !!!!

Yes, it sounds like what you are describing are interruptions in the satellite signal getting to the antenna on your truck. Mine does this anytime I drive under a freeway overpass. I have also come across dead spots in areas where there appears to be a clear view to the sky. The exit of the parking lot at the Lowes I go to is one example. SirrusXM will drop out in the exact same spot every time.

The problem I am experiencing sounds very similar to a skipping CD. The music volume will ramp down a little, there will be a slight pop sound then the music will ramp back up. This repeats about every two seconds.

OP
OP
C

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The stereo head unit was replaced under warranty this morning. So far this appears to have fixed the problem.

The warranty work was performed by Northwest Ram, in Houston, TX. They were very courteous and prompt. It did take about 4.5 hours and two trips to the dealer to get the work done. 1.5 hours wait for the trouble shooting and the remaining 3 for the repair. This includes check-in at the customer service desk. My only complaint, though minor, has to do with this dealer, and every dealer I have been to. They just can't seem to leave the seat controls alone. This time it must have an Orangutan that drove my truck to the service area. The seat was way forward and reclined way back. Jammed my knee into the steering column trying to get in.

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm.. i think i've noticed the same thing with mine. Only seems to happen with certain XM channels though. I get an occasionally pop.