sound processor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rthorsten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I have a head unit that has time alignment, built in crossovers, and some other goodies, a 4 channel amp with bulit in crossovers, will I get any benefit with buying a seperate sound processor. I was looking at the RF 360.3 or comparible unit.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depends how deep are you into having things sound perfect? If you want the resolution to change thing infinetly you would need an outboard processor, but if you are content with the changes you can make with the head unit I say rock the head unit use it too learn and then step up to an outboard DSP.

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You want your time alignment and crossovers in the same unit. As long as the head unit has decent TA, Crossovers, and EQ than I see no reason to go to an external DSP. The benefit of an external dsp over the head unit is going to come to, for the most part, splitting hairs over quality of the EQ , as well as the look of the interface.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Really nice outboard processors like the Helix Pro, PS8, H800, Bit 10, P99 have very small detailed adjustment increments for slope, levels, TA, xover points over say my Pioneer 80PRS. But you can still get WONDERFUL sound without those teeny tiny adjustment increments. But you will be able to tell the difference in the quality of sound between a HU dsp (with exception of the P99) and a top tier outboard dsp......BUT, you have to put in the time to really fine tune everything. Then again, in a dodge ram with the windows open, does it really matter?.....I say no