Soundproofing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackson Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is any kind of soundproofing better than others? I notice that there are several brands that are cheaper than Dyna mat extreme?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
For the most part any of the vibration dampening materials will do the job you need with a 25% coverage. There are definitely better products out there like Second Skin's Damplifier CLD tiles but unless you're going for the best noise reduction you can get then brands like FatMat do a good enough job.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Only thiing is to get butyl mat, not roofing adhesive, since that stuff stinks to high heaven. I went with Stinger ROadkill and am pleased with the results. as mentioned, 25% coverage is all you need to dampen sound and vibrations . Of course, I went 100% solely because I I had enough and wanted the thermo property coverage as well.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Only thiing is to get butyl mat, not roofing adhesive, since that stuff stinks to high heaven. I went with Stinger ROadkill and am pleased with the results. as mentioned, 25% coverage is all you need to dampen sound and vibrations . Of course, I went 100% solely because I I had enough and wanted the thermo property coverage as well.

This^^ I like Stinger Road kill...Dynamat seems to be the most expensive. As long as it is Butyl based you will be good to go. Deadener is NOT sound proofing, you're simply adding weight to the panel to deaden vibrations and resonances. 25% coverage is needed, anything more becomes deminished returns but helps.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a roll of stuff for roofing at Home Depot. Worked great and I didn't have any smells.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I got a roll of stuff for roofing at Home Depot. Worked great and I didn't have any smells.

Don't do what this guy did. Roofing panels are asphalt based, it's toxic to breath (whether you smell it or not) and let's face it....it's made for roofing.
If you put asphalt based panels inside your door, they will melt during summer months, and you will have black goop running out of your doors etc..
You guys are driving nice Ram trucks that are not cheap to buy....going cheap to save a few bucks and installing toxic roofing tiles just does not make too much sense to me. If you're going to do something, do it correctly and safely

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soundskins looks like the future of the stuff. I plan on using it for my build.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a few months ago I was in HD and found self stick duct noise dampers in roll form question is the is for inhabited areas can it be an alternative to the ultra over priced sound deadners

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a few months ago I was in HD and found self stick duct noise dampers in roll form question is the is for inhabited areas can it be an alternative to the ultra over priced sound deadners

Refer to Post #6.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

As long as it's a 100% butyl it will be fine but don't get anything else. That stuff is also a lot thinner than the 'ultra over priced deadeners' and doesn't dampen nearly the same amount of vibration and noise that the good stuff does.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Stinger RKX36B Roadkill Expert Series Sound Damping Material Bulk Pack - $85, delivered to your door.

Less than 2 boxes did the entire interior of my crew cab pickup. I did not do the roof itself.

Again, that is every square inch, which is not needed, for vibration dampening , but, as stated, I wanted the insulating properties, such as they were and I already had the stuff, so why not.

If you do the 25% Rule, one box will kill a crew cab.
For $85!

There are instances where one can save money, they be be few and far between.
Most often, ya get what ya pay for.

In the end, it is your money, your truck, and your health, do what you wish.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I used the seal and peel stuff once, it did the job, but then after reading up on it, I thought my health was more important.

There was a video I watched where they tested the seal and peel against an actual sound deading tile and the seal and peel feel very short. i will try to find it.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I used the seal and peel stuff once, it did the job, but then after reading up on it, I thought my health was more important.

There was a video I watched where they tested the seal and peel against an actual sound deading tile and the seal and peel feel very short. i will try to find it.

I believe the test was done on DIYMA a few times...so many people were talking about seal and peel and other products that they decided to test the asphalt based roofing stuff, versus butyl based, automotive-specific sound dampener. The results were clear that asphalt-based tiles should stay on the roof of your house as intended.