Speaker Config on '15 1500 Crew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I replaced my speakers a while back, all 6 with Kickers and am considering putting an amp behind them now. Without me doing too much research and digging, can someone enlighten me on how many channels for the cab speakers? Does the dash and front door wire together to be 2 channel with the rear being 2 more? Or are there 6 channel between the dash, front and rear doors?

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
dash and front doors are in parallel. Rears are by themselves.

So a four channel amp, if you just want to add some power to what you have, or get a 5 channel and leave room on the table for a sub later.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
dash and front doors are in parallel. Rears are by themselves.

So a four channel amp, if you just want to add some power to what you have, or get a 5 channel and leave room on the table for a sub later.
If I can find an amp powered appropriately, I may do a 5 channel and wire two subs in the mix at 2ohms. Someone gave me a Ram Probox with two kickers in it.. and I think they are 150wrms each. Was considering two amps also... decisions decisions...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I agree...decisions, decisions.

I chose the 5 channel amp path as I did not want to have to run a bunch of wiring behind the rear seat for two amps and then mounting them.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have 6x9 in the door and 3.5" in the dash and you amp them most likely you will blow the 3.5". the different size speakers take different frequencies and you will most likely over power the 3.5.

IMO you are better putting a good set of components in the doors and put the tweeters in the dash.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
If you have 6x9 in the door and 3.5" in the dash and you amp them most likely you will blow the 3.5". the different size speakers take different frequencies and you will most likely over power the 3.5.

IMO you are better putting a good set of components in the doors and put the tweeters in the dash.
I won't be blowing any speakers :) Frequencies aren't a factor in speaker blowout, you might be thinking watts RMS, even then, I csn manage the different sets okay. Just needed to know how they were wired to save me a trip behind the dash. Thanks!

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I replaced my speakers a while back, all 6 with Kickers and am considering putting an amp behind them now. Without me doing too much research and digging, can someone enlighten me on how many channels for the cab speakers? Does the dash and front door wire together to be 2 channel with the rear being 2 more? Or are there 6 channel between the dash, front and rear doors?

The dash and front door speakers are on the same circuits. I am looking at the NetAudio radio T-Harness and a Pioneer GM-D1004 4 channel amp for a little P-N-P system. I also have the Kicker speakers front, rear and dash. In any event I believe that load resistors might be required for the radio to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Problem for me is I don't remember which Kicker speakers I put in and I really don't want to take the doors off to find out lol

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Well I found a receipt for 2 pairs of Kicker CS694's and a 3.5" 40CS354 pair(writing them here for my records)...are both front and rear 6x9?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I won't be blowing any speakers :) Frequencies aren't a factor in speaker blowout, you might be thinking watts RMS, even then, I csn manage the different sets okay. Just needed to know how they were wired to save me a trip behind the dash. Thanks!

Let that 3.5 get a 35hz tone and let's see how long it lasts. :roflsquared:

He is saying just to make sure your crossovers are set properly. The 6x9 can play mid-bass duties but the 3.5" cannot. Putting them on the same channel is bad idea.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Let that 3.5 get a 35hz tone and let's see how long it lasts. :roflsquared:

He is saying just to make sure your crossovers are set properly. The 6x9 can play mid-bass duties but the 3.5" cannot. Putting them on the same channel is bad idea.
Not going to be easy to set a crossover for the 3.5s if they are on the same channel as the door.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is the point lol. As mentioned, you are better off with components.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Separate the 3.5s from the front 6x9s if you can. Running them as they are will overpower them and the front doors will not be lifting their share. You will lose low end, and your midrange will be insane.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Separate the 3.5s from the front 6x9s if you can. Running them as they are will overpower them and the front doors will not be lifting their share. You will lose low end, and your midrange will be insane.
Easiest way to do that?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easiest way to do that?

6 channel amp or run the fronts off the radio, and the doors all from the aftermarket amp. You will need to run new wires to them if you werent going to already.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
6 channel amp or run the fronts off the radio, and the doors all from the aftermarket amp. You will need to run new wires to them if you werent going to already.
Yeah that's what I thought initially then someone chimed in and mentally sold me on a 5 channel amp to include bridged subs. Maybe I'll just get a second amp dedicated for the subs so I don't have to rely on a lot of filtering.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
New wires to which? I can't tap into all the wires I need right behind the deck?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New wires to which? I can't tap into all the wires I need right behind the deck?

no because the dash speaker and front door speakers come off the same set and separate in the dash not behind the radio.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Yeah now that I look up the specs... I may leave the dash on the deck since they are only 30 WRMS... don't think I want to leave those to an amp... might just get a 5 channel for the doors and subs.
What have you guys done?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Yeah now that I look up the specs... I may leave the dash on the deck since they are only 30 WRMS... don't think I want to leave those to an amp... might just get a 5 channel for the doors and subs.
What have you guys done?

I'd sell the front 6x9's and 3.5's (should be pretty easy to sell, very popular upgrade) and install nice components up front. A nice 6.5 mid bass for the front doors, and a nice set of tweeters for the dash or sail panels. Then you can run passive x-overs, use only two channels of an amp, then bridge the other two channels (obviously on a 4 channel amp) to your sub or rear 6x9's.
I'm not a big fan of the 6x9/3.5 combo for the front of vehicles....the 3.5" will never provide that sparkle that a tweeter can produce...so you end up with a flat, muddy sound signature.....And yes I realize that the 6x9's have a tweeter but that thing is a joke...just my .02

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963