Speaker installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Alright so I'm reading and looking and can't find a clear answer. So far the one speaker I know people are not having issues with are the Kickers everyone is raving about. My budget is a little higher and I like great quality (I like Kicker but never overly impressed) so I intend on going with JL Audio, Alpine, Pioneer, Focal- whatever. However Crutchfield is recommending a bunch of 5-1/4" speakers, yet I see people putting 6x9s and 6.5s in their doors on here. I don't have stuff like a dremel available to me to do modifying so I need to keep it as drop in/plug and play as possible for now. I am looking to do the doors and rear first, then worry about the dash (L door is blown).

and thanks for any replies, I am running on very basic knowledge of car audio.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i think where most of the problems come from is the depth of the speaker, so most cases there wouldn't be cutting to make a 6x9 fit, but spacers are usually required to get the deeper speaker to fit. I don't know first had as my truck still has stock speaker and the last time i dealt with it was in an 05 ram, but it seems that has been the main issue through the model years

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I installed Boston 6x9s in my '05 with little issue. I don't know what I'm dealing with on this one

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
ive always used pioneer but i installed the kickers in mine and they sound much better then them

MidnightRambler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Are you in a rc/qc/cc? And what kind of head unit? That makes a big difference. Better tuning options on higher end decks always helps. Great speakers wont help a mediocre signal, and a great signal wont help mediocre speakers. Keep in mind the fab you'll have to do may not be worth the effort for a marginal sound improvement over already great sounding 6x9 kickers, especially if you change out your dash 3.5's. Go 8 quality on everything and get a factory like fit, instead of 10 quality on something's. Just my 2.5 cents.

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Regular cab with the 430, but once I make my new ATV investment in a few weeks, a new head unit will come.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
replace with just Kicker KS or DS69's, going down to 5.25" you sure lose alot of cone area...(output)

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
From what I've read here, you should be able to fit 6x9's in all four doors. Why install smaller speakers when you can fit larger ones in there? Much better sound!

Thats what I wanted to hear. Now on to the depth issue... Crutchfield says most 6x9s won't fit. What measurements have people gotten away with without doing minimal or no modification to make it seat properly?

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats what I wanted to hear. Now on to the depth issue... Crutchfield says most 6x9s won't fit. What measurements have people gotten away with without doing minimal or no modification to make it seat properly?

I'm actually working on a DIY right now for this but I can tell you that ion the front doors you have just shy of 3" of depth to work with. I have kicker KS693's in my doors and they are about 3 3/16" in depth so to make them fit in the front doors and not have the magnet resting on the window brace I had to cut and install 1/3" spacers. I also needed to remove some plastic to fully clear the magnet although I know some people didn't have to do both or either.

There is no depth issue with the rear doors however, unless you can find a 6x9 that's like 5" in depth, lol

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Gotcha. So with the dash and the rears I shouldn't have any issues, just the door. Appreciate the info, this allows me to start looking at different 6x9s with the intent to purchase.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only issue I will say with having to use spacers on the front speakers is, and depending on the speakers themselves, that the tweeter could rub against the speaker grille on the door shell. Example again, my 693's do rest on the grille and do push it out some, enough that the parking brake handle will rub the door a little, and you can see where the cone on the tweeter is pushing the grille out. But it's not bad enough to make me want to attempt anything else after today's attempt at installing baffles.

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't know why Dodge always has to make something a PITA with the sound system for us lol

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thank you sir, you make the life of people such as myself a LITTLE bit easier lol

fsharp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Awesome question, I was planning on doing all JL audio as well... I will stay tuned for more info from the thread...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Front door fit is shallow, 2 7/8" max depth.

I upgraded to Infinity Reference speakers and liked them a lot.

I eventually went with a set of Hertz HSK 165 component speakers in the front.