Speaker swap worth it ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
popcenator - I just installed the KSC354 yesterday and now I am going to start looking into the doors. If you want 6x9s, it looks like the 77KICK41 is the only game in town. Are you happy with these? Also, you haven't had any issues with the Head Unit running the 4 ohm (vs the stock 8 ohm) dash speakers right? Crutchfield says they "shouldn't" cause a problem. I faded to the rear a little because they were a bit loud.

Kicker CS6934's also work in the doors.

dteuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kicker CS6934's also work in the doors.

Would you recommend these over the 77KICK41s? Crutchfield said you may need to to some modification to get them to fit. Not sure what you would need to do exactly?

I have so many questions around the stock upgrade. They didn't make it simple.

• The upgraded system is Alpine and the Mopar replacement speakers are all Kicker?
  • Why aren't 6x9 speakers available that officially "fit" from either of these companies (other than the Mopar ones)?
  • Every aftermarket 3.5" speaker that I have looked at are 4 ohm, but the factory speakers are 8 ohm. Why did they do that? I have seen a lot of posts asking about this. I had some concern myself about adding the KSC354 and if it would hurt the HU.
  • There is no good info on the factory 8.4 head unit anywhere. I looked on the Uconnect site and can't find anything on wattage, etc.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first question after reading a lot of the posts is whats your budget? what head unit do you have?

To get the best performance out of anything make sure everything is matched on power levels. If you put in a speaker that runs at 100w rms and your have a head unit that puts out 50w per channel your system will suffer.

and as suggested 6x9's are the easiest and best of all worlds. if you run a 6.5 component speaker make sure they are used in conjunction with a crossover filter and it will improve and "tune" the sound quality. also if your stock head unit doesn't put out enough power for the kickers or whatever speaker your putting in look into adding a amp... This is why I ask budget, cause things can get $$$$ fast.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Would you recommend these over the 77KICK41s? Crutchfield said you may need to to some modification to get them to fit. Not sure what you would need to do exactly?

I have so many questions around the stock upgrade. They didn't make it simple.

• The upgraded system is Alpine and the Mopar replacement speakers are all Kicker?
  • Why aren't 6x9 speakers available that officially "fit" from either of these companies (other than the Mopar ones)?
  • Every aftermarket 3.5" speaker that I have looked at are 4 ohm, but the factory speakers are 8 ohm. Why did they do that? I have seen a lot of posts asking about this. I had some concern myself about adding the KSC354 and if it would hurt the HU.
  • There is no good info on the factory 8.4 head unit anywhere. I looked on the Uconnect site and can't find anything on wattage, etc.

Alpine is like GM's Bose, that's their go to up line from the factory. The Kicker Mopar speakers are just a simple upgrade, plug and play on the factory base systems. The reason the dash are 8 ohm is they tap off the doors, or the 6x9 to keep impedance correct.
Many have used the CS6x9 in the door, no issues. Crutchfield has disclaimers that you may have to mod them as the install team uses guidelines to say what is a direct fit, and some that need a simple mod. But many have used the CS to fit, or other brands and no issues.
The reason most don't have a direct fit 6x9 for the door is depth. Most manufactures have a larger basket, deeper magnet, coax, etc So that's the reason most don't have a direct fit. But now if you looked at a Mopar Kicker 6x9 and a CS, there is very little difference. The Mopar Kicker 6x9 is a perfect match for simplicity, installation, and usage of power off the factory radio.

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
instead of posting a new thread I figured id tag along on this one, I have two kicker 10" subs so im not worried about bass, so would I be better off putting 6.5" speakers in the doors of my crew cab VS the 6x9's? im using my stock 8.4" radio and im not looking at add an amp to the speakers so would it even be worth upgrading the speakers? I just a more crisp sound but I wasn't sure if just a speaker swap is worth it. im looking at the kicker 40CS654 for the doors and the kicker 40CS354 for the dash. everything from crutchfield with all adapters is only $180.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
instead of posting a new thread I figured id tag along on this one, I have two kicker 10" subs so im not worried about bass, so would I be better off putting 6.5" speakers in the doors of my crew cab VS the 6x9's? im using my stock 8.4" radio and im not looking at add an amp to the speakers so would it even be worth upgrading the speakers? I just a more crisp sound but I wasn't sure if just a speaker swap is worth it. im looking at the kicker 40CS654 for the doors and the kicker 40CS354 for the dash. everything from crutchfield with all adapters is only $180.

Sure you can, I used 6.75" in my doors.

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sure you can, I used 6.75" in my doors.

but would I be better off with the 6.5" instead of 6x9's since im looking for clean crisp sound and not bass because I have subs? is it worth the upgrade over the stock speakers without running an amp?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
but would I be better off with the 6.5" instead of 6x9's since im looking for clean crisp sound and not bass because I have subs? is it worth the upgrade over the stock speakers without running an amp?

without an amp, some have said midbass was drastically reduced compared to a 6x9 coax, but each listener varies, so hard for me to say.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Not as much as someone just putting 6.5" in place of the 6x9, why I think you'll be ok compared to others. They just replaced doors and no subs.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I replaced all my door speakers with the same speakers you posted as well as replaced the dash speakers with Kicker 41KSC354 4 ohms...

Left everything else stock with the 8.4 head... No Sub! My head unit never goes louder then 15... Actually would love to install a single 8" sub but I have other things to worry about at this time...

Just replacing these 6 speakers made a big difference in Clarity/Crispness-->Just alot better sound... I wish I could have spent more but there are other more important priorities....

Last edited:

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I replaced all my door speakers with the same speakers you posted as well as replaced the dash speakers with Kicker 41KSC354 4 ohms...

Left everything else stock with the 8.4 head... No Sub! My head unit never goes louder then 15...

Just replacing these 6 speakers made a big difference in Clarity/Crispness-->Just alot better sound... I wish I could have spent more but there are other more important priorities....

awesome thank you! I think im gonna pull the trigger within the next week

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Right on, great feedback SyN

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Where is everyone ordering the 6x9 kicker/ mopar upgrades from? What's the going price?

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is everyone ordering the 6x9 kicker/ mopar upgrades from? What's the going price?

I ended up getting two pairs of 77KICK41 on Amazon for $216 with free shipping.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
popcenator - I just installed the KSC354 yesterday and now I am going to start looking into the doors. If you want 6x9s, it looks like the 77KICK41 is the only game in town. Are you happy with these? Also, you haven't had any issues with the Head Unit running the 4 ohm (vs the stock 8 ohm) dash speakers right? Crutchfield says they "shouldn't" cause a problem. I faded to the rear a little because they were a bit loud.

Alpine SPR-69 will workin the doors, aswell. However, they really need to be amped.