Speakers question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey so I have a quick question for you speaker people's! I just got my speakers amped on Monday with a Jl xd400/4
I have ps165 focal performance in the doors and they are SUPER BRIGHT! like making ears bleed bright/harsh. So could I just change out the tweeters to like some c5 Jl tweeters with some silk cones or am I going to have to replace the whole components set?

Mitten Diver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the crossover give you an option to reduce the output to the tweeters? There might be a switch for 0db -3db and -6 db. You could also try aiming the tweeters differently. Where are the tweeters mounted?

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Learn how to tune before you swap gear.
Your crossovers can attenuate the tweeters -0, -3 or -6 db.
If that's not enough turn the treble down on your head unit.
If that's not enough lemme know and we'll discuss other options.

Last edited:

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know how he feels and I have them at -3. They don't have the -6 option. They are extremely bright but sound amazing!

OP
OP
Cynix

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does the crossover give you an option to reduce the output to the tweeters? There might be a switch for 0db -3db and -6 db. You could also try aiming the tweeters differently. Where are the tweeters mounted?

They are all the way down as far as db goes on the crossover and they are in the stock 3.5 location but on custom adapter plates

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I'm looking at the manual and the switch has 3 positions for attenuation and another switch with 3 positions for cutoff frequency.

I know the reputation for Focal tweeters is to be bright, and they are to a point but are easily tamed if you play with them. On or off axis mounting can make a world of difference too. I've owned every line of Focal components made over the last 10 years or so up to the Utopia Be 3 ways I have now...they only get better the further up the food chain you go but the entry level lines can still be made to sound as good or better than most people's best stuff.

OP
OP
Cynix

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Learn how to tune before you swap gear.
Your crossovers can attenuate the tweeters -0, -3 or -6 db.
If that's not enough turn the treble down on your head unit.
If that's not enough lemme know and we'll discuss other options.

They are set at - 3 right now and I have the stock head unit so I don't like messing with the treble and mids settings cause it sends that through the sub and it makes it sound funny lol

OP
OP
Cynix

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know how he feels and I have them at -3. They don't have the -6 option. They are extremely bright but sound amazing!

They sound clear and amazing but they are so piercing lol, glad someone knows what I'm talking about :p

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
In your case it's an install issue. Firing a tweeter straight up at the glass is a terrible idea.
I'd surface mount them on the pillars firing straight at each other across the dash. They'll calm down if you do that.
You're turning your windshield and dash into a giant horn...just magnifying the issue.

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info UNBROKEN. I will have to try to mount in different location. I have been thinking about the mirror cover on the door. Ill go with your advice. You have many more years in the hobby.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
A trick that's been around for years is to use velcro of double sided tape and just stick them in various spots. A-pillars, sail panels, various spots on the doors...hell, anywhere you want. Just run some long wires and play with them. Play with the attenuation every time you move them too...little changes can make a big difference.
I spent 4-5 months playing with driver locations in my last truck until I was happy.
This truck I just dove in and went with my original plan and use a serious DSP to manipulate things. It's much cheaper and easier to stick the tweeters in various spots though.

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to try this out. Im getting ready to replace my head unit with a pioneer 80prs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2