Speedo recalibrate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After adding the lift and 35s the dealer attempted to calibrate the speedo. Between 70 and 80mph it reads about 3mph slower than the gps indicates. They said there is nothing more they can do for it. I don't want to buy a full tuner so what would you suggest to recalibrate it? Is the Hypertech speedo calibrator any good?

MXM34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After adding the lift and 35s the dealer attempted to calibrate the speedo. Between 70 and 80mph it reads about 3mph slower than the gps indicates. They said there is nothing more they can do for it. I don't want to buy a full tuner so what would you suggest to recalibrate it? Is the Hypertech speedo calibrator any good?

If my dealer can not accurately reflash I will go this route. Any TPMS warnings? Hope a tuner addresses this soon as I know some have gotten warnings after switching rim/tire

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't done the speedo calibration yet. Probably will next weekend. Discount Tire sold me the wheels/tires and new TPMS sensors. The sensors are working but for some reason the truck isn't recognizing them so is not showing any pressures and is displaying a warning light. DT has got new sensors they ordered from a Ram dealer they will install next weekend for me. Hopefully the truck will recognize them.

MXM34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't done the speedo calibration yet. Probably will next weekend. Discount Tire sold me the wheels/tires and new TPMS sensors. The sensors are working but for some reason the truck isn't recognizing them so is not showing any pressures and is displaying a warning light. DT has got new sensors they ordered from a Ram dealer they will install next weekend for me. Hopefully the truck will recognize them.

This is what I was speaking of. It may not be the sensors. Superchips is working on a fix I believe. They just did it for the F150

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
>snip< Discount Tire sold me the wheels/tires and new TPMS sensors. The sensors are working but for some reason the truck isn't recognizing them so is not showing any pressures and is displaying a warning light. > snip<
When Discount installed my new TPMS sensors,I had the same problem as you. The guy forgot to activate them. I went back and they activated them and all was good within about 2 hours.
MK

MXM34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When Discount installed my new TPMS sensors,I had the same problem as you. The guy forgot to activate them. I went back and they activated them and all was good within about 2 hours.
MK

Good info!

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took it back and they used a scanner to verify they were working and they were active but the truck won't recognize them for some reason. Will be getting the ones they got from Ram installed this weekend. Hopefully it'll solve the issue.

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took it back and they used a scanner to verify they were working and they were active but the truck won't recognize them for some reason. Will be getting the ones they got from Ram installed this weekend. Hopefully it'll solve the issue.
Damn that sucks, Good luck on the fix. I hope Discount is going to replace them for free and give you a refund.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as the speedo calibration goes, I have the hypertech speedo calibrator and it's dead on under 70mph. Anything over and it's 3mph off. I tried various settings on the tire sizes to see if that would help but still get the 3mph difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as the speedo calibration goes, I have the hypertech speedo calibrator and it's dead on under 70mph. Anything over and it's 3mph off. I tried various settings on the tire sizes to see if that would help but still get the 3mph difference.

Well that stinks. Mine is also off by 3mph above 70 and local freeway speed limits are 70. I usually set cruise between 75-80. I'll still try the calibrator this weekend and see what happens. If it's off wouldn't that give false odometer readings? And could it effect shift points?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that stinks. Mine is also off by 3mph above 70 and local freeway speed limits are 70. I usually set cruise between 75-80. I'll still try the calibrator this weekend and see what happens. If it's off wouldn't that give false odometer readings? And could it effect shift points?

My shift points have been solid both in regular and tow haul modes. The odometer will be slightly off but I plan on keeping my truck to pass on to my 9 year old so not to worried about that lol. nothing that would be so off it will cause any issues dmv wise or computer wise on board the truck

Mikro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think about it this way. if it is 3 miles slow then every 30000 miles you drive then it only shows 27000. :) From a resell standpoint you win. LOL!!!

dterry2469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine was off by 10% 50 = 55, 60 = 66. I was not so much concerned about the odometer as I was the shift points as I tow a toy hauler. I purchased the Hypertech speedometer calibrator a few weeks ago to correct it.

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the new TPMS installed today and they work perfectly. Got home and used the Hypertech speedo calibrator (tires measured 33.25" @ 40lbs of pressure). Using 2 gps's and checking random speeds between 5mph to 86mph the speedometer is dead accurate. Very pleased with the outcome. Will be adding a Pedal Commander soon.

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the new TPMS installed today and they work perfectly. Got home and used the Hypertech speedo calibrator (tires measured 33.25" @ 40lbs of pressure). Using 2 gps's and checking random speeds between 5mph to 86mph the speedometer is dead accurate. Very pleased with the outcome. Will be adding a Pedal Commander soon.

Update...installed the Pedal Commander and took it for a ride. It is a noticable difference. In Sport+ level +4 it pulls hard off the line and keeps going until you let off the gas. I left it at Sport +2 and will leave it there for awhile but have a feeling I may end up running Sport with no + or - input. I tried it in Eco mode and it is a slug but it's designed to be that way.

Last edited: