starting my audio build, $300 right now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I think the next step for my truck is audio. Im torn between what brands to go with. I was wanting an all JL audio system but I know if I mix it up with other brands I could get a nice sound also. I thought about kicker but I always ran kicker and want to try something different. Any ideas on what to get? Im on a full stock system now and am looking at doing a double din for sure (still undecided on which one) all new door speakers and dash speakers, couple of subs or one 12" sub in an aero ported box with amp. Throw out some ideas so I can see what to go with. I have $300 right now to drop in anything for the truck. What would you all think is a good starting point? Maybe the h/u first then speakers or do all the speakers first and use the stock h/u for a little while. Shoot me some ideas!!!

This is going in a 2014 ram rcsb. Im looking for some good bass but SQ as well.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Your gonna need a lot more than $300. I just completed my collection of components. I went Hybrid audio Legatia speakers 6.5" front doors, 3.5" dash, l1 pro tweeters in custom sail pods, 6x9 hybrid imagination rear doors, 12" JL audio tw3 sub, helix pro DSP, JL audio xd 1000/5 & 400/4 amps, net audio sub enclosure and custom audio out wiring harness. 0 ga power wire knukoncepts dual amp kit, 130' of 14 ga speaker wire, 150 sq ft of cld dynamat and 12 sheets of dyna linear 4 sheets 1/2", 4 sheets of 1/4", and 4 sheets of 1/8" this **** rocks, and 2 sheets of dynapad for floor. I am into it for $5000 and bought everything at almost wholesale prices. This **** gets crazy. Been collecting equipment and reading for the past 8 months and just fired up this afternoon for the first time, didn't even have time to tune it with oh yeah the laptop I had to buy for the truck lol. But active 3 way up front with kick ass 6x9 In the rear and it sounds unbelievable and again we didn't even have time to tune it yet full 31 band parametric eq to play with, time alignment, and hours to dial in. Good luck with yours, I started with the mopar kickers about a year ago and just sold them today to another member! lol came full circle.:roflsquared:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'll need a lot more than $300. I'm just starting the build and have $300 as of now. I built expensive stuff before just want something with killer sq on this one.

That sounds like a killer set up!

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I know I'll need a lot more than $300. I'm just starting the build and have $300 as of now. I built expensive stuff before just want something with killer sq on this one.

That sounds like a killer set up!

I have some Rockford Fosgate R165-S speaker sets in 6x9 brackets and some Kicker 40CS354 3.5" dash speakers I am selling, I went with all JL Audio. If your interested PM me. You can see them here

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/my_audio_upgrade_2014_ram_big_horn_crew_cab-61023/

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea $300 ain't gon cut it for a nice system. Right now I'm sitting at roughly 2k for the head unit door speakers and 4channel amp. I'm running a Kenwood ddx7701hd, four Hertz Energy 6x9s and a Kenwood XR400. I've narrowed my sub selection down between kicker CvX and Sundown SA 12. Gonna run a foxbox and the amp to match the subs, probably 1200s

OP
OP
L

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again I'm not trying to do this with $300.... I have $300 extra right now so I was going to buy a h/u, sub, amp, or speakers

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you aren't afraid to buy used ****, and accept that $300 isn't much money at all, you can find good bang for the buck. You will never have a 'great' system a few hundred bucks but you can make a big improvement over stock.
I was SHOCKED at how decent the stock 6x9's reproduce midbass once the doors are deadened and they're amped and crossed over properly. I wouldn't even change them for your budget. You don't want mids and highs coming from doors anyway.

Find a crazy deal on some dash speakers, a used four channel amp and a cheap box. Find a used sub etc. Not saying you will win an SQ contest but I bet we can build something that will equal most higher end OEM systems in a new truck or car for under $500.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adaptor all new that I'm selling for '13+ Rams if you're interested.

OP
OP
L

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again there is no budget. I just have $300 extra laying around to put towards something right now

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
How do the Jl audios compare? Which ones you went with?

Dude, I am a nub man..... I was gonna go all Rockford Fosgate and ordered those speakers in my build post but found the JL Audio 10w3v3 fit my sub box perfectly. So I returned the Fosgate amp I bought and got a JL Audio XD700/5v2. I just wanted all the gear to match so I bought some JL Audio C3-525 component sets and made 6x9 plates like I did the Fosgates. They sound great but I thought the Fosgates sounded good too. If I hadn't tossed the boxes I could return them to Crutchfield for a refund :(

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I would start by getting replacement 3.5"'s for the dash. That one upgrade makes a huge difference. I went with Hertz and they sound amazing. I also put the Hertz in the rear doors, and it helped a bit, but not so much as drastic a change as replacing the 3.5"'s.
SO I just spent over $100 of your money.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could buy a nice set of compnents and mount the tweeters in the sails. You might change your mind about even including the dash in your system and you would get an immediate improvement for your buck.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lol @ everyone thinking the budget is $300.

If u can find a double din u like in that range, go for it. That's the first thing I changed, and there was an immediate upgrade in the quality of sound.

I just posted up my diyma sub, HAT L3s and HAT L1s. If you wanna go mids and tweets first, and since ur local, u would save on shipping.

Do you plan on going 3 way or 2 way front stage in the future? And do you plan on using a DSP? That would help us help you where the money would be best spent.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Lol I just sent him a pm to let him know about your gear. Even better if he is local perfect equipment to start with and Brad will hook you up. I would start with these hybrids and sub. Brad side note mine should be up and running Monday just got my l1pros today. Everything wired and up and running. Will install tweets into your pods, sprayed them black came out mint...will post pics soon.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lol I just sent him a pm to let him know about your gear. Even better if he is local perfect equipment to start with and Brad will hook you up. I would start with these hybrids and sub. Brad side note mine should be up and running Monday just got my l1pros today. Everything wired and up and running. Will install tweets into your pods, sprayed them black came out mint...will post pics soon.

Awesome, been out for the last week and wanted to see if u started a thread yet. Glad the sails came out good, can't wait to see them.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have never been one for the entire thing has to match. infact if you look at most of the competition sq setups most dont match.

IMO keep that 300 and just add to it and purchase the right equipment you are happy with. dont get me wrong you can build a budget system to sound good but its tough