steering wheel volume control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, new here. First post.

Picked up a 2013 SLT quad 1500 after getting almost two decades out of a '94 1500 4X4. I tried to get steering wheel volume controls but there wasn't one around without adding a lot to price so I settled without. I did notice that there appears to be punch outs where the wheel mounted volume controls are located (on the back of the steering wheel, right?). I don't suppose there is any way to add it after market, is there? Or would I have to replace the whole steering column? (wouldn't go that far). Not a big deal but when you get used to it on other vehicles, it's nice to have. One thing I do like is the way the stereo displays the bluetooth Ipod songs on the touch screen and controls them too. Not sure if that was an upgrade or comes standard on SLT's. Anyway, look forward to getting some good info around here. Thanks.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd call your dealership and check. I feel like it's probably possible but sounds like it might be real expensive. Welcome to the forum by the way! :welcome:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where there's a will there's away. Mine didnt have them but in a way I'm glad, since I went with an aftermarket unit I just use the remote that came with it. Saved $100 not having to buy a harness. It would be worth it IMO. I'm 5'9" with the reach of someone who's 6'2" and I found myself leaning forward to reach the stereo which is annoying and dangerous.

OP
OP
Jabalone

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all. I found another thread in which it's discussed on the "interior" forum.

Steering Wheel Swap... Can it be done ? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

That post had the dealer quote him a price of $2500 to switch out the whole column!! The sales guy at the dealer here told me to try a car audio place. Obviously it's not something that gets done very much.

I should just clarify that the voice control doesn't work on the stereo, right? It sort of implies it in the manual but it's not super clear. If I could command "volume up" or "play next song" or something maybe I could skip it. If anyone has any other ideas for adding steering wheel volume control, please let me know.

CaptNkllm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You can buy the steering wheel with the controls in it.. Try a salvage yard (I did) .. Get it programmed by the dealer (if they can ) if they can't there is a guy in Florida that can.. Done deal. Bought the column and steering wheel for 180$ swapped wheels and it's ready to program..

Capt

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all. I found another thread in which it's discussed on the "interior" forum.

Steering Wheel Swap... Can it be done ? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

That post had the dealer quote him a price of $2500 to switch out the whole column!! The sales guy at the dealer here told me to try a car audio place. Obviously it's not something that gets done very much.

I should just clarify that the voice control doesn't work on the stereo, right? It sort of implies it in the manual but it's not super clear. If I could command "volume up" or "play next song" or something maybe I could skip it. If anyone has any other ideas for adding steering wheel volume control, please let me know.

I don't think volume is voice, but even on my 2011 I can control everything else by voice. I just reach over it the Uconnect button and can change stations, satelite stations, etc. Also with the USB in the glove box I can voice control song names, artist, etc, with either my Ipod or with all the songs on a flash drive which is what I do now.

Ray

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't think volume is voice, but even on my 2011 I can control everything else by voice. I just reach over it the Uconnect button and can change stations, satelite stations, etc. Also with the USB in the glove box I can voice control song names, artist, etc, with either my Ipod or with all the songs on a flash drive which is what I do now.

Ray

Great info, thanks for posting. I haven't played around with my Uconnect enough yet and didn't even realize you could control that much with voice. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Jabalone

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ray

Thanks for the info. I can't seem to get voice control to work on songs, artists etc... using bluetooth connection and Ipod. Maybe it has to be directly hooked up via the glove box USB? Are you on a Uconnect 8.0? I've got the intro level Uconnect 5.0. system.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has to be connected to the glove box USB for voice control of song name or artist name. The reason is that those particular voice commands are in the uconnect and the glove box USB is plugged into the uconnect module, not the radio.

For songs on my mygig HDD, I can voice command next track or last track but not song names. I can also voice command Radio stations, satellite stations etc.

Ray

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It has to be connected to the glove box USB for voice control of song name or artist name. The reason is that those particular voice commands are in the uconnect and the glove box USB is plugged into the uconnect module, not the radio.

For songs on my mygig HDD, I can voice command next track or last track but not song names. I can also voice command Radio stations, satellite stations etc.

Ray

Yep what he said is dead on. I have my iPod hooked up through the USB port in the glovebox and the voice commands work fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the steering wheel mounted radio controls part of the SLT package?

OP
OP
Jabalone

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone else wondered that but I guess it's not because it is not on my SLT- which came with a lot of upgrades on top of what's standard. Maybe it s wired for it though which might make adding it easier? If anyone can find anywhere it says its standard it would be fun to show that to a dealer!

Nuke71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone else wondered that but I guess it's not because it is not on my SLT- which came with a lot of upgrades on top of what's standard. Maybe it s wired for it though which might make adding it easier? If anyone can find anywhere it says its standard it would be fun to show that to a dealer!

Just got a call back from the dealer and they say it is part of the $400 "luxury group" package that includes the overhead garage door opener console. :(