Stereo Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I wasn't going to upgrade the 8.4 Alpine system in my 2016 Laramie Ecodiesel anymore than I already have, but I'm thinking I just might do it after all. Right now I have changed all three dash speakers to Infinity 3 1/2's, and added two Kenwood 12's under the back seat powered by a Kicker 600.1 amp.

I'm thinking of removing the LC2i and replacing it with this. Then adding a Kicker four channel amp. Since I already have Infinities in the dash, I was thinking of adding Infinity 6x9's to all four doors. Then tapping the left and right dash speakers to the 6x9's in the front doors, leaving the center powered by Alpine and just there. The rear doors would be run alone on the rear of the four channel. Subs would continue to run as they are now.

Thoughts?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I say do it. I'm not sure how that pac provides flat eq unless it's already flat from the head unit. You could just run the lc2i main out to the 4 channel amp. You would lose fade but you could always turn the gain down a smidge for the rears of needed. Some amps can do 4 channel out with only 2 in or you could use a y adapter for the rca.

I wouldn't tap the door and dash together. Too big size and power difference. Not to mention the ohms.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Last edited:

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I completely agree with you SOCAL....but remember we're looking at a shop doing a customers truck. It may not have been in the customers budget to do more stuff. With your full dynamat build I'm sure you probably passed out from the band-aid they used for deadening the door. LOL.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I completely agree with you SOCAL....but remember we're looking at a shop doing a customers truck. It may not have been in the customers budget to do more stuff. With your full dynamat build I'm sure you probably passed out from the band-aid they used for deadening the door. LOL.

:word:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't see the video - but how much power is going to the doors? I wouldn't even bother upgrading until we are talking 200-250RMS per door.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
75ish to each door.

I am digging the plug and play approach and the app tuning rocks IMO

I agree with Eestee though, being it was a customer and not a personal project they simply installed what the customer wanted,

it is an expensive system so it could have been a budget constraints

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There are a lot of thing that aren't in our budgets......but with financing it opens up the possibility of getting what you want and not spending a large chunk of money at one time. thats how I purchase my stereo equipment. Some places even offer 90 days same as cash.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
There are a lot of thing that aren't in our budgets......but with financing it opens up the possibility of getting what you want and not spending a large chunk of money at one time. thats how I purchase my stereo equipment. Some places even offer 90 days same as cash.

Well, my original plan is going to cost right around $700 for what I want to do. This new plan would cost a little over $1,200. I could do it, and I know it would be way nicer when finished, but I do have to sleep at night with my wife, and I go to sleep earlier than she does lol

Seriously though, I'm looking and trying to find a less expensive compatible amp and we'll see what happens. If I can shave a couple hundred off the price I can sell her on it

Eased

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
This is awesome. Exactly what im looking for. It's a shame that this is the route you have to take to integrate into the factory systems these days.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Even if you don't buy there, crutchfield.com does a nice job of showing you what's compatible with factory setup. I went there, but ended up yanking everything out as I had the old RA2 unit. I sold it on Craigslist for 100 buck though, so it wasn't all bad. :naughty:

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
The other side would be the PAC audio route
It is a good one but still need the 250 dollar adapter and harness for your RCA out with a 5 channel amp
Unless you are staying with the factory amp

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
The other side would be the PAC audio route
It is a good one but still need the 250 dollar adapter and harness for your RCA out with a 5 channel amp
Unless you are staying with the factory amp

That's actually the rout I'm going. It'll end up being three amps in the long run (already have one), but I got everything including tape and wire loom for less than the cost of the amp in the video.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Kapt, can you explain why you would do three amps.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Kapt, can you explain why you would do three amps.

Front, rear, sub. Front is four channel for 6x9's in the door, and the 3.5"s in the dash. Rear and sub are self explanatory

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
normally you wouldn't use that many amps unless you're running an active system...I'm asking so many questions because if we can point you in the right direction it will save time & money