Stock speaker problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylerr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2009 Crew Cab with the Alpine system. I recently installed two 12'' subs and an amp, using the stock sub speaker wires for the amp. After enjoying my subs for a few days, I turned them down and noticed that my factory speakers sounded absolutely terrible. They no longer have any bass at all, and they sound very tinny and cheap. Adjusting bass/midrange/treble on the head unit does not change anything anymore. About the same time, I noticed an unpleasant burning/hot smell coming out of my vents. I have no idea what's happening, anybody have any suggestions, or any way to test the stock amp or head unit?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You used the tiny amp wires for the Alpine amp your new amp?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Uh oh ---- how did you install the amp? Where did you get power and ground? What did you use to get signal? Where did you get your remote wire?

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As stated and pics of the install will go a long way. First and foremost UNDO what you have done !!!

OP
OP
T

tylerr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Power wire was fused 4 gauge wire from battery
Grounded to the back of the cab
No remote wire, set amp to turn on when it started receiving input signals
Used the four speaker wires under the rear seat that used to power the stock sub as inputs for the amp, and set the amp to high voltage input to eliminate need for LOC

OP
OP
T

tylerr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should clarify that the sub's work flawlessly and I am almost 100% certain that they have been correctly installed.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything sounds correct. To me it sounds like the door speakers got toasted. Pop off the panels and take a look at them and test. Your speakers are pushing 6/7 years old... could of just been their time. Maybe with the sub you turned it up more often, thus pushing those speakers harder than you were before.

OP
OP
T

tylerr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything sounds correct. To me it sounds like the door speakers got toasted. Pop off the panels and take a look at them and test. Your speakers are pushing 6/7 years old... could of just been their time. Maybe with the sub you turned it up more often, thus pushing those speakers harder than you were before.
That's a possibility, but would all four door speakers go at around the same time? And they still make sound, just not very good quality sound

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a possibility, but would all four door speakers go at around the same time? And they still make sound, just not very good quality sound

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I've seen some pretty weird stuff, so I wouldn't say it is impossible. Check the fuse for the amp...I would actually just replace it. This also sounds like an issue when an aftermarket amplifier is getting low voltage.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
While hammering on the system, check voltage AT the amp, see what it's getting.

OP
OP
T

tylerr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While hammering on the system, check voltage AT the amp, see what it's getting.
Check at the positive input? Coming into the stock alpine amp, or into the aftermarket subwoofer amp?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd take the sub amp out of the equation, I bet the stock alpine don't have a ton of mid bass to begin with and the aftermarket sub isn't blending very well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Check at the positive input? Coming into the stock alpine amp, or into the aftermarket subwoofer amp?

The aftermarket one, just to see what voltage you are getting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45