Stock Stereo Upgrade - What Worked for Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMVRam2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have the Uconnect 5.0 in my 2015 2500. I wanted good sound - solid bass for several genres and better overall sound from the doors without blowing it out as in all years past. I went with a Bbox and 10" Fosgate R2-D4 and a Fosgate R-250 1D mono amp wired to 2ohms under the back seat. I researched and spoke to Crutchfield (who I have purchased many things from over the years) to really find good inexpensive 6x9 that match the low output of the factory 5.0 and fit! They recommended a great choice (CF best price $150) then realized they were back ordered and after 5 days couldn't tell me when they would be on the way. I cancelled and then found the same ones brand new on eBay for $90 shipped to my door. I bought 4 Pioneer TS-A6966R 6x9s for all 4 doors. I made sure to get the Metra wiring harness for each door speaker and it took maybe 10 minutes on each door and they fit perfect. Once I got the sub box air tight and installed the 6x9s - I must say I am rather surprised at how full and good it sounds. The general sound quality and increased volume output in the doors is exactly what I was looking for.

All items were brand new and I'm all in at $313:
box $60
sub $48
amp $80
loc $15
6x9s $90
Misc wires etc $20

The difference it's made for that amount of money is absolutely ridiculous. Hope this helps others who may have been looking for this exact answer and fix like I was. :favorites13:

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’m trying to decide whether I’m going to rip everything but the 8.4 out or just add a sub. I have basically all the equipment I need. I’m going to have to do a custom fiberglass box as I can’t find one that meets my needs/wants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a reason you didn't upgrade dash speakers? To be honest the stock system isn't too bad in my eyes, I just want a tad bit more bass and I figure if I'm putting in a sub might as well put in some decent speakers to clean up a bit.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Is there a reason you didn't upgrade dash speakers? To be honest the stock system isn't too bad in my eyes, I just want a tad bit more bass and I figure if I'm putting in a sub might as well put in some decent speakers to clean up a bit.

I’m in the same boat. I’ve ripped everything out of most of my vehicles and started from scratch, but I just don’t know if I feel the need to do that with this truck. 8 have all the equipment that I need to do a full upgrade but not sure if I want to go to the effort

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SMVRam2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Didn't feel the need to do the dash since they sound decent and are only highs. (that said they are so cheap I may do those too just because). Plus I knew I would get more clarity + mids and highs from the 3 way 6x9s I installed. $100 for 4 very solid 6x9s, mono amp with remote level control, 10" sub and box - you can't go wrong. Interestingly, I turned down the sub and cranked the volume to 40 this morning for the first time on a clean song and it didn't distort in the least even at full volume. The upgrades I did worked quite well for the stock system and I would do it exactly the same again.