Sub Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I recently changed my dash speakers in my 2016 RAM Laramie with the 8.4 Alpine system. I put in the 3 Ohm Infinity 3 1/2's in all three locations of the dash. I replaced the factory sub with a Rockford Fosgate 8" DVC 2 Ohm sub. I'm really happy with the improved sound for the most part. I know the factory enclosure isn't that great. I would like just a little more bass from that now under powered 8" sub I installed. I was thinking I could just add a sub amp to the sub with an external bass control.

Adding the amp I would tap into the factory wires going to the sub and connect them to my Kicker 600.1 using an AudioControl LC2i that I already have. Naturally I will use an installation kit for the amp and run 4G wire to the back where the amp would be located

So I guess this boils down to two questions:

1) Would this work the way I'm thinking it will?

2) If so, where is the nearest, easiest to access switchable 12v power supply to the back seat area?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Might work. The signal may already be processed before the sub amp and you may not like the freq range. Then again the factory amp may have the crossover in it. You may have to put a resistor inline if you get no signal out of the lc2. Doesn't the lc2 provide remote turn on? If not, I guess a cig lighter or the fuse box would be your turn on.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Thanks. Yes, the LC2 does have a remote turn on. I've discovered in the past that if the power supply for isn't switched, now and then you can hear it shut down. Sounds like a band pass sweep when it does it :D Switched power resolved that issue in the past. I guess it can't hurt to try it all. I could use a remote battery to power LC2 and amp, wire it in and see how it sounds before doing anything perminent I suppose

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure if you want applicable gains you double power from your stock setup.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP make sure the box size is correct for the sub also. if its undersized most people will turn the gans up on the sub to try and compensate for the. this will actually distort the sub and lead to premature blowing of it.

distortion is the #1 reason for blown speakers, NOT over powering.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you mean by double power?

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
300x1 in 4 ohm will be plenty. Let us know how it works out.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes double the amp power or it's usually someone going "I think it's louder/clearer". Just experiences I've had.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
according to the specs it needs about .5 cubic feet of airspace. unfortunately unless someone has already measured the factory the only way to really to measure it is using something like packaging peanuts and putting them into a box you know the size of.

Good idea