Sub and amp suggestions, single 12 in a sealed fox box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just ordered a sealed fox box for a single 12 and I'm looking for help in picking a good sub and amp combo to go with it. I listen to country and rock, and prefer sound quality over boomieness. My budget is pretty limited, I can spend around $150 for the sub, and about the same for an amp. I have been looking at getting an Alpine type R, but I've heard they don't like sealed box's and are better for rap. For an amp I've been looking for something that can supply the 1000 watts rms that this sub says it's rated for, from a brand I've actually heard of, like Kenwood or Pioneer. Am I on the right track for a sub, or is there a better option for what my needs are? And what brands of amps in my price range are good, and which should I stay away from?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$300 dollar budget for sub and amp is more than enough for a bit of lend end thump. You wont find a quality amp thats 1000 rms for 150 bucks. Theres a bunch of generics but they will never hit that power level.

If you have the room on that budget a P2 subwoofer and prime 500 amp. These 2 make a great combo.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I had good luck with sundown audio sa10 (dual 4 ohm) with a jbl msa5001 amp in a ported box. Very close to $300 for the gear. Amp pushes 600+ in 2 ohm. Keep in mind you will need power wire, ground wire, terminals, fuse and holder. Knuconcepts makes some decent wires. If you get an amp with speaker level inputs, you should be able to avoid a line converter.

Not sure if the sundown will fit into a fox however.

OP
OP
Gear Jammer

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks for the help.

The Punch P2's seem like a good set up for my budget and the box I'm going with, Fox Acoustics lists them as being compatible with their box's, they also don't need as much amp, that helps me stay within my budget.

I'm not at all familiar with sundown subs, but I keep seeing them mentioned when I've been looking for a good quality affordable sub. Fox's sight says that the Sundown Lc's, and E3's fit in their box's, I'll have to give them a look. I plan on getting an amp with speaker level inputs to help me stay on budget, if I can get wiring for under $75-80 I'll be ok.

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Image ID's sound awesome in small sealed enclosures. I loved my Sundown Sa12 and Sundown 1000, however it was ported. When I do my setup in this truck I'm going with another Image Id sub for sure.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i use to rock a JL 12w0 in a sealed box with a little 200watt pioneer amp. the w0 only needs 100-150 rms power to sound great.

for $120 for the sub you really cant go wrong.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
re audio makes very accurate subs I have a dual 10" ported box they sound pretty good I'm using a ma audio 1280i 500 watt rms amp at 8ohms the way I have it hooked up I'm getting about 900 watts rms to the subs.

OP
OP
Gear Jammer

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Part of me really wants to go with the Alpine Type R, it's supposed to be a good match for the FoxBox. My concearn if I go with that sub is getting enough amp to properly push it and staying close to within my budget. I found a Kenwood that is supposed to be able to supply the 1000 watts RMS that the Type R wants, as well as a Pioneer that should get the job done. As far as I know these are both decent quality Amps, they both are made by companys I have heard of, but I don't know if they are actually anygood? Does anybody have any expeince with either of these?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Part of me really wants to go with the Alpine Type R, it's supposed to be a good match for the FoxBox. My concearn if I go with that sub is getting enough amp to properly push it and staying close to within my budget. I found a Kenwood that is supposed to be able to supply the 1000 watts RMS that the Type R wants, as well as a Pioneer that should get the job done. As far as I know these are both decent quality Amps, they both are made by companys I have heard of, but I don't know if they are actually anygood? Does anybody have any expeince with either of these?

Buy an Alpine MRP M-500 amp and call it a day. 300 watts @ 4ohms, or 500 watts @ 2ohms. $120

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This sub should be pretty good for what you're looking for. It's also a pretty good price. I've done a project in WINISD with this sub and it looks to like sealed enclosures. It also uses smaller airspace. With the fox box you're looking at, after displacement, this sub would work really well. I provided a link for you to check out if you wish. Good luck.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77324_RE-Audio-SCX12v2-SCX-12-v2.html

OP
OP
Gear Jammer

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thought I should update this thread with what I ended up using. For a sub I went with the Alpine type S, based on the specs it is well suited to a small sealed box. For an amp I went with the Rockford Prime 500. I'm very happy with the results and I appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• 20170529_172049[1].jpg
    20170529_172049[1].jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 58

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought I should update this thread with what I ended up using. For a sub I went with the Alpine type S, based on the specs it is well suited to a small sealed box. For an amp I went with the Rockford Prime 500. I'm very happy with the results and I appreciate all the help.
Are you still able to keep the fold down platform on the passenger side with that box?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gear Jammer

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My truck didn't come with the fold down platform, so I don't know. It might say on the Fox Acoustics website.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio