sub opnions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ok I'm on a budget and saving for a system I don't have a price point nailed down but I will have about $150-200 for subs.I have a 320x1 rms@ 4ohm and 500x1@ 2ohm. I'm having trouble matching subs and box. I would love a foxboxbut that's not in the budget I have it narrowed down to either 1 nicer 12 or 2 10s. The boxes are either 2 10s with.65 c.f. air space or I can Get a single 12 with .85 c.f. air space for under the rear seat. Would y'all go with 1 nice 12 or 2 low to middle of the road 10s. We just installed 2 rockford fosgate prime r2 shallow mounts in my dad's truck they sound good but it left me wanting more. I listen to mostly hip hop and like alot of good rattling bass. And only have 6.12 top mounting depth.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents are save up a little more to get a good sub box. The more air volume you can give a sub the more bass you will get. Yes fox boxs are expensive but I haven't heard a single bad thing about them. Another company to check out it net audio. They are a bit on the high side to but either one will be worth the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the depth needed the Infinity Reference are really strong subs with little power needed. Ive had everything from JL W7's, Fosgate Power series back in the day, and everything else you can think of. In all my years bang for the buck the Infinitys really impress me. They will shake up things in your truck, they are great in a small box, and 250-300 watts really make them pound. I had a set in my Grand Cherokee in a ported box, on a Prime 500 watt amp (not 1 ohm stable) At half gain that amp would push them to full Xmax, they made no noises saying they were mad about it, and no matter how hard I would try they would not blow. Yes I tried to fry them to justify a purchase and just could not get them to let go. If you can make them fit these are my go to for guys and gals that are budget minded. Ive never had a complaint of anyone Ive setup with these.

If those are too deep. The lower end Skar audio really do shine with that power range, if memory serves me they are shallower than the infinitys.

Remember its not about budget, its matching your RMS <---- real power not a boss audio fake rating but real true to life RMS and subwoofer.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what amp do you have ?links?

is that 150-200 per sub or for both?

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It's a prime r-500 mono amp so I get 160 or 250 per sub pending 2ohm or 4 ohm. will look up the infinities but right now I'm looking at the 10in punch p2's I have the mounting depth and air space for them.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So if you are looking for the gut wrenching bass you will for sure need to go vented. Personally looking at the P2's I would say skip them as they will have an F3 of 46hz. That's a good freq if you are trying to fill out bottom end but for some deep bass you'll want a different sub/enclosure. Something like a Soundqubed HDS208 would work great or a Sundown SA 8. these are mighty little subs.

Nobrigz808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could also look into a sundown sd3 sub they are shallow mount. I have two sundown sd3 12 s waiting to go into my truck. They sounded good when i had them in sealed boxes in my Chrysler 300

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your best bet is to really go to a store well many and listen to what they have. What someone on here may like you may find you dont.

Personally im a JL fan. In my car i have a 14year old JL w3. when a sub is paired with the correct amp and box they will play forever. mine still sounds like it did when i got it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Store 10's suck. P2s are ok, they make a shallow P3 but if you can stay away from shallows if you can.

The Sundowns are strong but again, that exact amp on the infinity references, are an amazing combo sealed. If you have the depth.

Ooooh crap I have no idea why it didnt hit me earlier. Kicker Comp for the win in this setup!

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
To answer your initial question, I would always go with a higher end subwoofer versus lower end...so my vote is for the higher quality single 12". It will simply sound better.
With that said, don't go cheap quality on the enclosure...it'll make or break the subwoofer.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the rationale auto but I also think the enclosure actually is more important than the sub. In reality most of us can do with an el cheapo sub in a proper enclosure and it will sound so much better to the ear than a more expensive sub in an improper enclosure.
Oh then we could also talk about tuning/xovers all day lol.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I get that the proper enclosure is important how bad can a mdf sealed box be? Mdf is mdf reguardless to who builds it. Isn't proper airspace more important there is very limited space under the back seat of our trucks. Unless I go fiberglass box I'm stuck with either dual .65 c.f. or a single .85 c.f. box. I'm not a audiophile I'm only going to put so much into this truck. Just to give you a idea I had 2 jbl 12s in standered truck boxes in one of my old trucks and it was awesome they were the JBL CS1214 series. I had same amp push them and they hit fantastic. If those subs didn't have a ideal airspace of over 1 c.f. per sub I would use them.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get that the proper enclosure is important how bad can a mdf sealed box be? Mdf is mdf reguardless to who builds it. Isn't proper airspace more important there is very limited space under the back seat of our trucks. Unless I go fiberglass box I'm stuck with either dual .65 c.f. or a single .85 c.f. box. I'm not a audiophile I'm only going to put so much into this truck. Just to give you a idea I had 2 jbl 12s in standered truck boxes in one of my old trucks and it was awesome they were the JBL CS1214 series. I had same amp push them and they hit fantastic. If those subs didn't have a ideal airspace of over 1 c.f. per sub I would use them.

You're right. A lot of people freak out about "proper enclosure" and what not... for a sealed sub it doesn't really make too much of a difference. Nothing the average consumer would ever notice. Get what fit your budget and call it a day, I would not stress anything when it comes to a sealed box.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP what kind of music do you listen to?

i have to agree with the statement about the proper box and cheap sub. back in the early 2000's i built a car that had a jl10w0 in sealed box powered off of deck power (yes deck power, pioneers back in the day you could bridge the rear channels and get like 50watts rms. this car actually won comps for its power class.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Proper enclosure ie proper enclosure for the sub to include airspace, bracing, fill, sound deading.
So let me approach this from a different angle. The bass you are talking about with rap/hiphop music is the type people like to play loud, not really trying to blend it with instrumentals. There are very few subs on the market that work in the airspace you are talking about and still get loud. Push the airspace to 1 cube after displacement and you open up a whole new can of worms with just about anything made for a sealed box will work and hit the volume I would guess that you are looking for.
Case in point, Skar VD 10s, shallow mount subs sound good for a cheap sub but in a small ported box they flat out suck(ported isn't always best). I put them in a 1 cube sealed box and they actually were louder and cleaner sounding.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I like the rationale auto but I also think the enclosure actually is more important than the sub. In reality most of us can do with an el cheapo sub in a proper enclosure and it will sound so much better to the ear than a more expensive sub in an improper enclosure.
Oh then we could also talk about tuning/xovers all day lol.

I agree 100%. I was simply saying I'd chose the higher end 12 if that is still an option. I agree, the enclosure is more important than the sub no doubt about that.
OP, not all sealed boxes are created equal. If I put a sub into a sealed box constructed of 5/8" MDF that has been nailed together using finishing nails out of a gun with no glue, no bracing, no seams sealed (many cheap boxes online are mass produced using this method) versus a sealed box using 3/4" OR 1" MDF, glued, screwed together, braced, seams sealed, possibly poly filled....the common person will hear a noticeable difference and the better box will not be much more money. This becomes more and more important the more power you are sending to the sub. Just trying to help. I've bought the cheap stuff before and I ended up wasting time and money....however the bonfire that the cheap box ended up in was really nice and enjoyable

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been in the same boat for 3 months now. Ive figured out what Im going to do and you might do the same.

Pull the rear seats up for a week, build a fiberglass enclosure in the under seat storage area for 4 high excursion 8's.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
seen this guys work on Instagram, I like this sub box.

12558665_175499419472507_359555155_n.jpg

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I thought about doing a fiberglass box but in all honesty I don't have the time or patience to get it done... I know I want my cake and eat it too! But in all honesty I think a couple of p2s or similar 10s will probably be enough. My dad's 10s are shallow mount and I think that takes away from them. But it was only thing we could fit and he's not into the bass like me.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I would go single 12 in a ported box. Would probably yield most boom for your buck.

Oh yea, sundown sa12 dual 4 ohm for your 500w amp. A little under powered but it'll be fine.

Last edited: