Subwoofer Tuning Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, Heres what I have:
2x Pioneer TS-W261S4 Champion Series 10 Inch Subs
A Dual ported, Dual enclosure box
A 1100 Watt Monoblock Amp

When I look on Crutchfield.com about tuning them, it always states having the bass boost OFF. But when I have that OFF, it doesn't matter how loud I have the volume but nothing comes out of the subs, But when I turn bass boost ON, it sounds and functions as normal but i feel like they should sound better than they do.

My current settings are:
Bass boost ON +15 (its a switch not a knob)
Level control is at about 70%
Sensitivity is at 100mV-2V
Low pass mode ON
LPF is at about 120Hz
Remote amp control I put at 50-80% for my music

Any ideas on how to tune them better or fix the needing bass boost ON thing?

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, Heres what I have:
2x Pioneer TS-W261S4 Champion Series 10 Inch Subs
A Dual ported, Dual enclosure box
A 1100 Watt Monoblock Amp

When I look on Crutchfield.com about tuning them, it always states having the bass boost OFF. But when I have that OFF, it doesn't matter how loud I have the volume but nothing comes out of the subs, But when I turn bass boost ON, it sounds and functions as normal but i feel like they should sound better than they do.

My current settings are:
Bass boost ON +15 (its a switch not a knob)
Level control is at about 70%
Sensitivity is at 100mV-2V
Low pass mode ON
LPF is at about 120Hz
Remote amp control I put at 50-80% for my music

Any ideas on how to tune them better or fix the needing bass boost ON thing?

I would first check where you are getting signal from to the amplifier. I also turn my LPF down a lot more than that but everyone is different really.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would first check where you are getting signal from to the amplifier. I also turn my LPF down a lot more than that but everyone is different really.

All the connections are good, the smallest wire I used was 6 gauge and i soldered all spliced and cut wires together very well.

And when i turn my LPF down further than that, barely any of the bass notes come through. I have my receiver EQ flat (0 Bass, 0 Treble, all that stuff), but in the spotify app on my phone I have my EQ set to have some bass.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bass Boost should be off, and your gain is much too high - it should almost never be past half way - and even that is pushing it IMO.

Where did you get your signal from?

Are you using a LOC?

Is there an option to change between hi-level and lo-level on the amp?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With that frequency your more in the midbass range and not in the sub range. Depending on the sub start at about 60hz.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the connections are good, the smallest wire I used was 6 gauge and i soldered all spliced and cut wires together very well.

And when i turn my LPF down further than that, barely any of the bass notes come through. I have my receiver EQ flat (0 Bass, 0 Treble, all that stuff), but in the spotify app on my phone I have my EQ set to have some bass.

I am guessing you meant 16 guage, What I meant was check the wire you are getting signal from. If you are using a line output converter, you may want to try switching to a different signal and see if that helps. As the other post above me asks, does the amp allow for high level in or just low level rca?

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
With that frequency your more in the mid bass range and not in the sub range. Depending on the sub start at about 60hz.
and your gain is much too high

Your LPF (LowPassFilter is set to 120hz what looks right (you may lower it to 80-60hz),
but there may be a another low frequency filter (in your amp or in your radio) who limit your frequency to not less than a certain frequency and cut your signal before your speaker start to work.
If the low frequency limiter is set higher than 40 hz he will attenuate your sub signal.
This can explain why they work when you use the Bass Boost function as you send more power to the speakers.

Chris

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bass Boost should be off, and your gain is much too high - it should almost never be past half way - and even that is pushing it IMO.

Where did you get your signal from?

Are you using a LOC?

Is there an option to change between hi-level and lo-level on the amp?

Ill turn it down and see how that works.
I am using a LOC.
yes there is an option but i would have to completely rewire my setup for hi-level. I have it on Low level right now.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am guessing you meant 16 guage, What I meant was check the wire you are getting signal from. If you are using a line output converter, you may want to try switching to a different signal and see if that helps. As the other post above me asks, does the amp allow for high level in or just low level rca?

The amp does allow for hi and lo level, but to get the high level input i would have to completely rewire everything. I am using low level right now.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your LPF (LowPassFilter is set to 120hz what looks right (you may lower it to 80-60hz),
but there may be a another low frequency filter (in your amp or in your radio) who limit your frequency to not less than a certain frequency and cut your signal before your speaker start to work.
If the low frequency limiter is set higher than 40 hz he will attenuate your sub signal.
This can explain why they work when you use the Bass Boost function as you send more power to the speakers.

Chris

This is actually really helpful, thanks Chris :)

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Does your LOC have adjustment knobs to adjust the signal output? If so, they might be set to low.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything sounds correct. Double check you have polarity correct for left and right speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything sounds correct. Double check you have polarity correct for left and right speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Adrian, I'll take a look at it when i head out to my truck after school

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything was connected right, but i took some of you guys tips and turned down my level and the LPF, they sound great now, Thanks for all the help

~Seth