Swap manual climate controls for auto climate controls 2015 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emartin98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2015 BigHorn without all the bells and whistles and I am looking at upgrading to the UConnect 8.4, but if I do that I want to know if there is a way to swap the manual climate control unit with the knobs to the auto controls with the push buttons. It looks to me like they might be two different wiring harnesses. If anyone has tried this, I need help!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are two 8.4 RA4 push button bezels. One is a dual zone auto unit the other us a manual unit. You can use either 8.4 bezel but the auto setting and passenger side hot and cold will not work on the auto bezel. You truck has a 7 speed fan so you would need the harness for the speed conversion which is the easiest one. You can buy this from the Harness Connection who is a vendor on the forum. You will also need the 911 over ride plug,heater control module and the 8.4 climate control bezel and of corse you RA3 or RA4 8.4 radio. All the information you need is in the D.Y.I section you can find all your part numbers there. You need to read this to fully understand the conversion. It is quite simple to fo once you understsnd it and will take about twenty minutes to do.This is a picture of mine with the non auto 8.4 bezel. Also a pic of the conversion harness heater control module and non auto 8.4 bezel.

20150514_114602.jpg

20150731_233004.jpg

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks great does everything work? Seat heaters added too?

If you buy or build the wire harness everything will work with the module and the manual climate control bezel. The cellular fooler is needed to stop getting an error message on the radio at start up.

The seat heaters is another issue. I added some aftermarket eBay seat heaters to mine as I have yet to hear of anyone adding the Mopar ones with the factory switches. You will see my switches below the cubby to the right side of the center stack.

20150406_142504_zpsm0cayxzt.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like where you installed your seat heater switches. If I ever get around to hooking mine up I am going to copy what you have done. Living in Northern California the weather is pretty mild so I haven't had to high on my list but every time I see yours it goes back up the list.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2015 BigHorn without all the bells and whistles and I am looking at upgrading to the UConnect 8.4, but if I do that I want to know if there is a way to swap the manual climate control unit with the knobs to the auto controls with the push buttons. It looks to me like they might be two different wiring harnesses. If anyone has tried this, I need help!
Check out post # 2 by Mpgrimm2 , the items required for Mod that is listed in BLUE Is all you need Sir .
Reference this link .

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=78289&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade

Hope this helps !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are two 8.4 RA4 push button bezels. One is a dual zone auto unit the other us a manual unit. You can use either 8.4 bezel but the auto setting and passenger side hot and cold will not work on the auto bezel. You truck has a 7 speed fan so you would need the harness for the speed conversion which is the easiest one. You can buy this from the Harness Connection who is a vendor on the forum. You will also need the 911 over ride plug,heater control module and the 8.4 climate control bezel and of corse you RA3 or RA4 8.4 radio. All the information you need is in the D.Y.I section you can find all your part numbers there. You need to read this to fully understand the conversion. It is quite simple to fo once you understsnd it and will take about twenty minutes to do.This is a picture of mine with the non auto 8.4 bezel. Also a pic of the conversion harness heater control module and non auto 8.4 bezel.
Rick , who made your harness ( ALL WHITE ) ?
Did you make it ?

I have an extra one just like yours . I thought it was a getupkid harness but he said it was from the original design from the Z ... He couldn't remember who it was though , I have confirmed with CuylerTech this is not his either ..

Just wondering who makes these for when I put mine up for sale .

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That harness came from Getupkid. I followed him here from the Z forum. His harnesses were all white. I ordered a spare ftom the Harness Connection but have never used it. Just keep it here to use as a test harness in case there is an issue when we do the conversion on other trucks or if I ever have an issue with mine. Good chance if yours is all white it's from Getupkid.

ckelley22000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning Rick, How are you? I just started my upgrade process. I have the Auto 8.4 bezel, Who makes the harness and where can I purchase it at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DJFriar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Can you change from the single zone automatic climate control that the RA4 comes with to the dual zone version? I assume there is some device in the dash that makes this not worth it, but you never know, maybe the pieces are there already.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you change from the single zone automatic climate control that the RA4 comes with to the dual zone version? I assume there is some device in the dash that makes this not worth it, but you never know, maybe the pieces are there already.

There is no "single zone ATC", there is single zone MTC and dual zone ATC.

DJFriar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
There is no "single zone ATC", there is single zone MTC and dual zone ATC.

I'm pretty sure there are two different ATC versions. My truck has this, which I'm pretty sure is a single zone ATC:

Af2P88q.jpg

And this should be the dual zone ATC (note there are left and right temp up/down controls, whereas mine only has a single set of up/down controls):

mOnoRe2.jpg

I can't think of any other reason we would have different temp control layouts unless mine is just a fancier manual control system.

DJFriar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
This is what infotainment is saying. The "A" in "ATC" stands for automatic. Yours would be "MTC" because it's manual.

Doh!

So I guess my question is if the automatic one can be swapped in easily. I don't really care if it has the dual zone part working (though it'd be nice), but I very much would like to be able to set a temp and the system just maintains it on its own.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can install the ATC bezel but it will not work unless you were able to add the ATC sales code and also install the interior temp sensor and wiring.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
You can install the ATC bezel but it will not work unless you were able to add the ATC sales code and also install the interior temp sensor and wiring.
Has anyone identified the needed wiring for interior temp sensor and wiring?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone identified the needed wiring for interior temp sensor and wiring?

We've done it and have it working. No plans at the moment for a stand alone kit, but will be compatible with the harness that comes with our 8.4 Swap kit.