System advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackson Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 ram 1500 Crew cab. I am planning a system to be installed in March. My installer told me that I should get 6x9 components for the front as 6.5 components wont fit. I know nothing about all this but even I know that 6.5 components will fit in the front of my truck with an adapter plate right?

I need suggestions on following: I would like to get quality component speakers for the front and 6x9 for the rear. I have an old but working JL E6450 amp that puts out a clean 45W RMP X 6 and am thinking about using that to power the front and rear speakers and then chan 5 and 6 for the sub.

I need advice on whether to go with 2 10" subs or one mounted under the rear seat.

Remember that I am not a rapper, but one who wants clean accurate bass. Also how much of a sub amp do I need watts wise?

I am overwhelmed by info on line. Seems reviews are all over the place on every product. I also am thinking about going wild and getting a JL 600HD 4 amp for big bucks, but then I will have to get speakers with much higher power rating right?

Any help or suggestions would be a great help. Oh the head unit I have chosen is a Pioneer DEH-80PRS.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do 6.5 or 6x9. Your options are much greater with 6.5. I can confirm the XS69 components will not fit in the doors. Not sure of any other 6x9 components.

If you are using that amp, I would stick with one subwoofer, as your power is going to be tight.

Let's start here, what is your budget?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
First off, your installer is in fact wrong about 6.5's not being able to fit....kinda raises a red flag for me in regards to your installer's competence or motives....
I would buy the highest quality 6.5 component set your can afford, then I really like the idea of powering them with a new JL 600HD4. Your old amp at 45 watts x 6 is nice, but it is a wee bit under powered unless you start bridging channels which is an option.
So, depending on your budget, I would get a nice 6.5 comp set. Install the midbass in front doors and tweeters in dash or sail panels. Leave the rear doors running off head unit power....the rears are not that important and they should NOT have a huge presence in the system.
Power your 6.5 components with a nice 4 channel amp. Your front components are the steak and potatoes of the system...will make or break everything.
Lastly, like advised above, get a nice 12" sub for under the rear seat. Send nice power to it, and you will have a nice, balanced system that will surprise you.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to agree almost any 6.5" will fit in the doors you will just have to make adapters to fill in the gaps.

im a fan of sealed boxes as they seem to be cleaner when built to spec for the sub.

a 10" will get a little tighter bass but a 12" will be a little louder.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
You can do 6.5 or 6x9. Your options are much greater with 6.5. I can confirm the XS69 components will not fit in the doors. Not sure of any other 6x9 components.

If you are using that amp, I would stick with one subwoofer, as your power is going to be tight.

Let's start here, what is your budget?

:waytogo:

OP
OP
J

Jackson Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My budget? I was trying to stay around 300 for front components, 2oo for rear and the the sub. The JL 4 ch HD would be a stretch for me but I could do it. Are you saying run the rears off the head unit and use the 4 ch amp 2 chan for tweet 2 chan for woof? With that amp, that's a lot of power and you would have to have some serious $ speakers. Any suggestions of front components that could handle that much power?
For the sub, a friend was suggesting 2 BX104 10" American bass woofers in a underseat box.. How much wattage should I put to those? Thanks for the help as you can see Im clueless about all this stuff.

OP
OP
J

Jackson Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh also does anyone KNOW how much room there is behind the frond door sail panels and if its enough to mount the tweeters there?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
A 6.75" will fit.

Once they arrive, I will be trying our new Neo QSC694 6x9's. Neo magnet, so no worry about depth issues.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 6.75" will fit.

Once they arrive, I will be trying our new Neo QSC694 6x9's. Neo magnet, so no worry about depth issues.

The image dynamics are neo and still too deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
System

I did the kicker sub upgrade and replaced the front in dash and rear door speaker with JBL's. because all of the other speakers aren't full range. The JBL's made a world of difference. The kicker 10" sub has a little punch but I could see my self getting a fox box with two tens or 12" subs in the future. I would start with the JBL's seriously they were the best thing audio wise I have done to this truck. After that I would do an loc with amp and sub there are plenty of options to choose from but I love this box. http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DQC%2D212%2DV

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The best thing to do is to go test listen to different component sets. Not everyone hears music the same way. So choose speakers based on your listening taste. 6.5 components are the best way to go. There are many different high end manufacturers that offer great sounding speakers for almost every budget. There is an all in one amp that you should look into that I like for many different applications which is the JL Audio 900/5.

This amp will give you 100 watt x4 per channel of clean power and 500 watts x 1 of power for the sub. This is only one of many different configurations you can use.

OP
OP
J

Jackson Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Potential set up

If I were to go with the JL HD 600/4 could I run the front components off 2 channels of the amp 150x2, run the rear 6x9's off the head unit and then 2 10" subs off the other 2 channels of the amp 150 each?. I don't need RAP style loudness, just tight steely dan bass.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Of course you can do that. It's about personal preference. I recommended the other amp because if you ever decided to amp you rear speakers you would have the flexibility to do so without having to buy a new amp.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
First off, the 900/5 would be a great all in one amp. Secondly, if you bought and ran the 600/4, you could run the components off two channels, and bridge the other two for a sub...but the sub IMO would want more power to avoid distortion.
Note: Do not worry about over powering you front components with 150 watts x 4....they'll LOVE the power. Remember, distortion blows speakers, not watts. It's easier to blow speakers while under-powering them, then over powering them. I had 365 watts to each door speaker in my last install, and I never heard them get uncomfortable, ever.
For the record, the JL HD600/4 is a great amp...I've owned one in the past...but it's pricey and there are many alternatives that will sound just as nice, provide just as clean power, and come in at half the price of the HD....food for thought.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with two kicker L5 10s in a seal box. More than enough but clean tight bass. ae9c542009082b4e3532b7f79e64fd3b.jpg8340a71fce255f6558e0e25e55eaf4ce.gif

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01