Text messaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '15 ram 1500 with the 8.4n head unit and an iPhone 4s. I've paired the two together for making phone calls. I've read the iPhone is not compatible with text messaging. First, anyone experience differently? Second, when I receive a text I am unaware because the phone will not alert me since it is paired to make calls with the 8.4. I put the phone on audible and it still won't alert me. It seems the connection with the radio overrides the phone's own text alerts. Anyone experience this or found a way around it? If I can't receive texts through the radio, I would at least like to hear my phone alert me when I receive a text.

I am aware the paired phones that can text only allow the feature to work when parked. Mine does not work period.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated....not switching from an iPhone though.
All the best.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Under your bluetooth settings for Uconnect, turn on Notifications. That will make them pop up on the radio. Quite an annoyance if you ask me....interrupts my music! ;)

FWIW, no iPhone can respond on any system, it is just the way Apple designed it. I suppose they view it as safety.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine did the same thing. I never did change the settings to get the notice for the messages. I'd just check them all when I got out of the truck, if I had any. You're not supposed to be texting and driving anyway. LOL!

I eventually upgraded my phone and got a Note 4. All of the features work now. :D It'll even read my text messages to me through the radio. It is a bit annoying when you're jamming out to a good song and it gets interrupted. :)

OP
OP
N

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Under your bluetooth settings for Uconnect, turn on Notifications. That will make them pop up on the radio. Quite an annoyance if you ask me....interrupts my music! ;)

FWIW, no iPhone can respond on any system, it is just the way Apple designed it. I suppose they view it as safety.

I appreciate the responses. I can't seem to find that option though. Under the Bluetooth options it only allows me to add a device or disconnect the phone. I'm not able to find the notification option. Can you be more specific? I appreciate it.

OP
OP
N

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Never mind! Thank you. It was in the settings in the phone. I was looking in the truck. Got it. Thanks. Care to wager how long until I too am annoyed by it and shut it off?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you must. you can always respond via siri also.