Those who installed Pioneer sub..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im about to do my sub install later today and have two questions before I start to tear it apart..

I have the 72-6517 harness and see the spade connectors wont plug into new sub. I am guessing that all of you just cut the spades off, stripped a bit of wire back then inserted said wire into spring loaded wire connector on the new sub?

There are 2 factory wires and 2 connectors on the sub. How do I tell which wire goes to which connector or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance..

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry you dont make much sense.. you are installing a sub and amp?

why do you have speaker adapters?

Reddzeppelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it matters a lot where you install your wires, which brings up the question?? Are you installing amplifier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reddzeppelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you allready purchased the sub and is it single or dual voice

OP
OP
boomer632

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 on my factory Alpine system. It will replace the factory sub and no additional amp is being installed. Several other members have done this on the Alpine as well. The sub is dual voice coil as it has dual wire attachment lugs.. two on each side. I have the Metra 72-6514 harness. Want to be sure which pair of wires goes to which lugs on the sub. Using the wire adapters so I don't have to cut the factory connector off. Regardless.. there are 2 sets of +- wires and I don't want to wire them backwards.

Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
What's the factory sub end resistance? If it's not 1 or 4 ohm you may have a problem. Because that's what your pioneer will be depending on how it's wired.

Last edited:
OP
OP
boomer632

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the sub last night. Pretty straight forward. I havent quite got my question answered tho. There are two factory plastic plugs.that attach to the speaker. Each plug has one + and one - wire going into the plug. The factory and the pioneer sub have 2 terminals to which each plug is connected. Both plugs are the same. Both factory and new sub are dual voice coil. Does it matter which terminal the plug (each containing a + - ) is connected? I have clipped the spades off the adapters stripped back and tinned each wire. Each side of sub is wired white to pos and black to neg. Am I correct in thinking it doesn't matter which terminal goes where as long as it is white to pos and black to neg? This again is the factory 10 speaker alpine 8.4 system.

SteveCornell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I does not matter....... just make sure you have the polarity correct, you can check the polarity on the sub by using a small battery (1.5 or 9 volt) when you have the battery hooked up in the correct polarity the sub will more out, if the polarity is reversed the sub will move in

Reddzeppelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You want to match your amp with your sub if your amp is 1,2 ,4 ohms steady then that's how you wire your sub so if your amp and sub are 4 ohms steady then if you wire sub to 4 ohms you will get the best performance and nit have to worry about blowing sub and frying your amp a lot more to it this part of a sound system thenpeople think and easy way to see how to wire what ohms you need to be at look up sub wire diagrams at crutchfield.com yiu be amazed at how many ways to wire one sub

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
doing this is not going to make a huge if any difference in your sound. its a mind over matter thing. you will probably say it does because you spent the money but in reality no ones else will even notice.

the factory amp isnt like an aftermarket it doesnt have gain/freq adjustments. the stock amp is designed to work and sound best with the stock setup from the factory.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I installed the sub last night. Pretty straight forward. I havent quite got my question answered tho. There are two factory plastic plugs.that attach to the speaker. Each plug has one + and one - wire going into the plug. The factory and the pioneer sub have 2 terminals to which each plug is connected. Both plugs are the same. Both factory and new sub are dual voice coil. Does it matter which terminal the plug (each containing a + - ) is connected? I have clipped the spades off the adapters stripped back and tinned each wire. Each side of sub is wired white to pos and black to neg. Am I correct in thinking it doesn't matter which terminal goes where as long as it is white to pos and black to neg? This again is the factory 10 speaker alpine 8.4 system.

I have been thinking about doing this, I assumed it would wire up identical to the factory connections using the 72-6514 speaker harness ?

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never use the push on connectors that are on the adaptors. I always cut them off and solder them on the speaker lugs. In fact I did this today on the Kicker speakers I am installing in the new sport when it gets here. Black wire goes on the smaller negative terminal and white goes on the positive terminal.

OP
OP
boomer632

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the dash speakers done and the pioneer sub. Dash speakers were a 100% improvement over stock. As one member suggested.. install one and use the fade/ balance to switch between the two. I'm considering doing all 4 doors after seeing the stock cheapo paper cones. Being that the fronts are a mid/bass speaker im not sure of how and upgrade will pay off. Also not sure of what the rear doors are.. 2 way one way?

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just changed my sub to this Pioneer. If you plan on providing the new sub with its own amp then it might be worth it but if you dont just keep the Alpine sub. Not worth the $ just to do a straight swap. (In my opinion)

I think the Alpine sub provides a fuller experience on the stock Amp compared to the pioneer sub. The Pioneer sub seems under powered when its being pushed by the stock Alpine amp.

That being said I am at a crossroads. I will either put the Alpine sub back in or buy a separate amp for the pioneer.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP what kind of sound are you trying to achieve. From what I have read on here swapping out the stock sub really doesn’t do anything.

When I was in the market to upgrade my sounds I wanted to do one thing, keep my stock head unit but I wanted my speakers louder and I wanted a nice bass sound. I ended up purchasing a FOX BOX that goes in the position of the stock sub and put in a 10” alpine type R..... this was the best decision ever. I then went with a mono hifonics Brutus amp to power it. Fosgate components door speakers and cerwin vega dash speakers. Anyway just something to consider if you really want a nice noticeable boom back there and I really mean boom.

34305C20-AF7E-45DE-B684-F2FC569D90B0.jpeg

FD7A7724-16C5-456D-B3C8-A948DB8AFDD1.jpeg

7207CAD8-B991-48C4-966F-CBD0C688AF20.jpeg