Torn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm torn on what I want to do for a head unit. I picked up a 8.4a Vp3 and like the looks of it. Although I'll have to add a few other parts to get the Bluetooth features to work. Plus get a audio output to run my subs. I already ordered the steering wheel controls to be able to adjust the volume.

I also have my old head unit which I've only had for a few months and like it also. The biggest feature of the Sony unit is mirrorlink. Paired with my Sony xperia z3 phone i can have my phone mirrored to the head unit and control my phone from the head unit.

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally like an aftermarket head unit. I hate the fact that there are vehicle specific controls in my 8.4a and forces me to stick with it. Hopefully iDatalink will come out with a module down the road.

With a good after-market HU, you get a clean flat signal, high voltage pre-outs, crossovers, time alignment and a 13 +/- band EQ. Plenty of control to avoid having to use a DSP or line convertors.

I will say though that the 8.4a is a good HU and puts out a pretty good signal and is also a pretty fast unit, even faster than the current generation of Kenwood head units. The navigation is nice, though that did cost an additional $600, that cash could have gone a far way in buying aftermarket.

In your position, I would go aftermarket all day long. You are going to go through the effort of replacing the unit anyways. You'll have to make the 8.4a work and hopefully get past all of the hurdles that go with it and any nuance it presents. After all of that, you are going to put yourself in the same boat as everyone else using a stock HU and have to use convertors or DSP.

Just my 2 cents.....keep the change! ;)

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Maybe I can convince my wife to let me buy a second truck with the 8.4 in it then I won't have to choose.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk