Trailer backup camera interface to RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonrev321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hello,

Have a 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn, 4x4, crew cab. Wife and I were looking at Travel trailers and where told that on some newer trucks the backup camera on the travel trailer could be interfaced with the backup camera on the truck so as to display on the manufactures screen. Has anyone heard of this or know if its possible with a 2016 RAM?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
No one has actually made a product to do this but I think it's possible to replace the OEM Backup camera's display on the uC 5.0 & 8.4 radios with the video feed from the trailer. Not sure what connector the trailer would have on it for the camera?

Off hand I think it would require:

- An aftermarket camera video pigtail (ie female RCA or 4 pin combo depending on the camera it mates with) that had the video wires pinned to a connector that mates up with the 8pin i550 connector (make pins) under the bed by the spare tire...

- Would need to pull power via reverse signal at the trailer connector (it's an isolated relay from the PDC) and ground.

(Note: power and ground can be pulled from the same place as the OEM camera at i550, but the aftermarket camera would be powered up the entire time the truck is on vs only when in reverse).

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would use the BCI-CH41 and put the trailer camera as the front camera setting. This way you can manually activate it from the steering wheel.