Trouble powering aftermarket backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmgz71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi folks. this is my first post. My dad has a 2013 Ram 1500 V6. It is relatively base model with no backup camera. Im trying to add one that I got from amazon. But I am having trouble powering the camera itself. I tap into one backup light and the camera only sends a flickering signal. I tapped into both lights, hoping to get more current and it worked, for a little while. Then it died (of course after I left and I live two hours away). Im trying to figure out the best way to power the reverse camera itself. It is just a little dinky thing that should barely pull any current at all. I am shocked that a backup light could not power it. I even ran a separate ground to the frame to make sure it was solid connection. I dont know if wiring to the second light made the voltage sum to 24V and fried them, but I did not thing it worked like that. They should be on the same circuit, just with more current summed between the two.

Any advice is appreciated.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
this happened to me too on my 17.....looking for an answer

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't connect both lights together. They're separate circuits that are controlled independently by the BCM and should be kept apart.

What you're likely seeing is a result of the lights receiving a modulated signal. I don't know about the backup lamps for sure, but many of the lamps use PWM to regulate the brightness.

Do you have a trailer connector you can try using instead? Maybe it receives a clean signal.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when I had my old '13 I used the 8pin trailer connector. however only use the light as a trigger and relay it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if your using an aftermarket radio w/ can bus harness, you can use the reverse signal from that to power the camera. or you should be able to grab power from the 7 pin connector on the bumper.

romeyjuice

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 express. I added aftermarket radio and camera and had same problem with the flickering and no picture. After reading a lot of posts I saw people were tapping into the trailer connectors at back. I got the signal from my reverse light and military spliced into harness for the power and ground for the camera and everything works perfect now.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have to use your trailer plug wires. The tail lights are on a canbus system which does not allow for additional power connections like that. Took me quite awhile to figure out that one.

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
KG93 is correct. When you tap into the reverse wire at the reverse lights the truck actually detects more resistance on the circuit and will either shut it down or drop the amperage on the circuit to basically nothing. This causes the lines to go on your screen from your camera.
I had the same issue when i went to install my camera a couple years back. You have two options. Grab the reverse wire from your 7 pin trailer harness. Or you can use the reverse wire at the reverse wire light but run it to a relay and from the relay you would grab 12V directly from your truck battery. If you need a wiring diagram let me know ill make one for you.
Good luck!