Truck off; how many milliamps is safe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am looking to add some lights to the truck and want to utilize an RGB controller, my best option so far seems to be to wire the RGB controller to direct power. When the unit is powered it draws .09 milliamps. I'm running a 2017 Ram 1500 so I'm just wondering if adding this small of a draw when the vehicle is off will cause any issues or deplete the battery too quickly. I didn't do a test to see what the truck pulls when off but could if I need to.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why direct power rather than a keyed source? Or at least a switched circuit from your constant power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
.09 is almost the loss of the battery alone. Thats hardly negligible unless you are storing the truck.

2 questions follow

1) how did you come up with that measurement as its pretty small so it would be hard to accurately gauge. As well if it has an IR or bluetooth connection it would be pulling more power than that.

2) why not run it to a switched source? There are plenty under the hood. Unless this is something you want to run with the truck off I would connect it to a switched source. My luck would be on live power, and hit something in my pocket and have it drain my battery by accident. <---- did this with some wireless fog lamps.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm debating putting it on ignition but if I go straight to battery it will be because I want to be able to turn it on with out the truck on. One major reason for going the direct to battery is if I go to a key power every time I turn on the truck I'll have to go in and turn off the LEDs on my phone. I'm having trouble find a controller that will stay off when power is supplied.

It is bluetooth, read a steady .09 milliamps, also tested a wifi version which tested higher at around .22 milliamps and as high as .30 milliamps. Note, I did do these amperage tests using a 12 volt power adapter, not a battery, if that would really make any negligible difference not sure.

EDIT:
Well, my wifi controller WILL keep memory on power off and would solve the issue of the lights coming on with ignition, so maybe I will wire it to ignition and use my wifi controller instead of the bluetooth.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
.09ma is very little power draw. It would probably be the same as the leds on a USB charger that plugs in the cigarette lighter. most aftermarket alarm systems when armed would have more current draw than that

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Pretty sure I've decided to go with the wifi controller which draws a bit more (about .22 milliamps) and put it on a relay with the ignition.