Two horns not noticeably Louder than One?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambutan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi!

Hi! I've direct drive air horn kit, i'm planning to add another kit to make it louder.

Is it true that adding one more kit will not be noticeably louder? I read it somewhere that it will increase +3db, twice the power but not twice louder.

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask this :)

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Imagine sound is a wave traveling through the air. This wave has peaks and valleys at regular intervals if the frequently remains constant. If you know the frequency of the horn, you can measure the wavelength. If the wavelength is short enough, you can line the horns up in a row, the peaks of the wavelength from the two sources will line up creating constructive interference. This will amplify your signal. If the waveforms do not line up, like one peak against one valley, you get destructive interference which would obviously decrease output.

Ultrasound physics...what have you done to me?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He needs to scare people in the parking lot for his youtube channel.

OP
OP
R

Rambutan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Don't have youtube channel. try to drive here in the philippines, you'll wish you had a ship horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The same reason most passenger cars are made with 2 horns isnt to make them louder, but to cover a larger sound spectrum. You have a high note and low note horn to make it more noticeable. There are people that cant hear a high note and a single high pitched horn would do nothing, same as low. The reason most train horn kits have multiple horns is to cover a broader amount of the audible sound wave. More horns might not help, different note horns, very good.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Direct drive airhorns are not the "make someone crap their pants loud" like train horns. They do however get the attention of someone off in lala land talking on their phone while the windows are rolled up.
Adding a second DD airhorn wouldn't hurt but one does the job nicely to get peoples attention.