Uconnect 5.0 iPhone text reading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OK, first off I know the limits between Uconnect and the iPhone suck compared to Android type phones but I'm not going to change phones. My question is with my iPhone 6 my Uconnect 5.0 ('16 CTD Tradesman) used to announce text messages and read them to me. I couldn't text back but at least I could hear what the text was so I could decide if it was important enough to call the person back or pull over to text them back. Now, for some reason, this feature has stopped working. I checked all my settings on the phone and they appear to be correct (bluetooth with "show notifications" turned on) but for some reason, it just suddenly doesn't work anymore. Anybody have any ideas why or how to fix it?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
you are lucky you even got that much. I was never even able to get uconnect on my 8.4 to tell me there was a new text let alone read it to me. I switched to andriod and everything works flawlessly.

try doing a soft reboot of the unconnect system and see if that fixes the problem.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had that problem a couple times after I'd update my iPhone. Try deleting the phone from the radio and same thing with the phone, delete the phone. Then repair everything up and that's always worked for me. I have iPhone 7 with latest software upgrade and it works great for me. I use the "hey Siri" function to text people back after they text me since we can't use the uconnect text feature.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My company Iphone 5 works with text on my 5.0, but I haven't really tried it with my personal Blackberry because 99% of the time the IPhone is linked to the Bluetooth.