Uconnect 5.0 (RA2) Volume on 2013 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick_si

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram SLT
Engine
So I recently purchased a 2013 SLT and it has the Uconnect® 5.0 (RA2). Is it just me or does the volume not go very high? I like to listen to music and a moderate level. When the windows are down driving 55 I can barely hear it.

So is this just how they are or is something going on. It seems to have a lot of bass too depending on the song turned up about half way. If this is how they are any suggestions on getting more sound out the the RA2? I really do not want to replace the unit.

Thanks!

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What source are you using for music? Radio? Aux? Bluetooth? I have the same unit and the volume varies with the source somewhat. If I listen to music on the memory stick in the USB port it will have greater volume than if I listen on Bluetooth. The radio and SiriusXM radio are about the same. I assume you turned the bass down in the controls? You might have to fiddle with the balance too. The settings were bad from the factory but after some tweaks it was adequate, and not as bad as your describing.

OP
OP
N

nick_si

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram SLT
Engine
What source are you using for music? Radio? Aux? Bluetooth? I have the same unit and the volume varies with the source somewhat. If I listen to music on the memory stick in the USB port it will have greater volume than if I listen on Bluetooth. The radio and SiriusXM radio are about the same. I assume you turned the bass down in the controls? You might have to fiddle with the balance too. The settings were bad from the factory but after some tweaks it was adequate, and not as bad as your describing.

Interesting. I generally use the bluetooth interface to play music just because of the convince. XM/FM sound the same as the bluetooth. Maybe I should try my phone in usb mode. I do have the bass at 0 turned off the auto volume. It just seems like it should be louder to me. About ready to amp the front speakers or change them out. Maybe if I complain enough to the dealership they can do something for me since its only 3 days old.

Thanks for the usb suggestion, I will give that a try.

OP
OP
N

nick_si

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram SLT
Engine
I will just add to this thread instead of starting a new one. I have been pretty unhappy with the output from the factory stereo. I can barely hear the music with the windows down at 60mph.

So I am adding these items to give it a boost.

I already installed a set of kenwood componets in the front.
Leaving the back 6x9 speakers alone
Jensen (cheap) 4 channel amp 760.4
Rockford Fosgate p300-1 (love this amp)
Pac Audio SNI-35 ( only using the front L & R channels)
Distro Block for 2 amps
8 Gauge wiring kit
MTX Thunder 5500 Dual 4
10" custom subwoofer enclosure from brightstarcaraudio on ebay

Since I am only using one line out converter I will be using the front channel for both amps and splitting the connection between the 2 It should be able to pickup the bass for the sub amp from the front channel correct?

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sucks that you stereo can't deliver and it wasn't some simple fix. Honestly, mines the same stereo and it's not as bad as yours sounds but, granted, it's certainly nothing special either. Sounds like you'll have a wicked set-up with the amp and sub now anyway. Way better than factory so enjoy listening at 60mph with the windows down! :rockit:

electricme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I will just add to this thread instead of starting a new one. I have been pretty unhappy with the output from the factory stereo. I can barely hear the music with the windows down at 60mph.

So I am adding these items to give it a boost.

I already installed a set of kenwood componets in the front.
Leaving the back 6x9 speakers alone
Jensen (cheap) 4 channel amp 760.4
Rockford Fosgate p300-1 (love this amp)
Pac Audio SNI-35 ( only using the front L & R channels)
Distro Block for 2 amps
8 Gauge wiring kit
MTX Thunder 5500 Dual 4
10" custom subwoofer enclosure from brightstarcaraudio on ebay

Since I am only using one line out converter I will be using the front channel for both amps and splitting the connection between the 2 It should be able to pickup the bass for the sub amp from the front channel correct?
Any chance you are going to do a DIY taking the 5.0 out and installing the Line out Converter? I want to do this but hate not having a DIY...

OP
OP
N

nick_si

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram SLT
Engine
Any chance you are going to do a DIY taking the 5.0 out and installing the Line out Converter? I want to do this but hate not having a DIY...

I will try and take a few photos. I am trying to complete this after work on Wednesday so I am very limited on time.

OP
OP
N

nick_si

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram SLT
Engine
I was able to complete the install lastnight and it took about 3.5 hours to complete. I am still waiting on my under seat box so I have a temp box in the back until next week.

I was unable to take some pictures to do daylight and did not want to work in the rain today my truck will not fit in the garage lol.

Anyways I am very impressed with the outcome of this, I did not run wires to all the door speakers just to the HU. If you want to do the labor and save some money this would be the best way to do it. I was able to purchase everything I needed from amazon and can kind of give you an estimate.

Front 6.5 component Speakers/6x9 adapters/ mopar adapter is about 85.00 (amazon)
Rear Sub box underseat 65.00 (ebay)
4 Channel Amp Jensen 69.00 (car toys test sale)
Amp wiring kit/Distro block/PAC LOC/Rca cables for 2 amps/Speaker wire 55.00 (amazon)
Rockford Fosgate P300-1 (already had) Craigslist for 50.00
MTX Thunder 5500 10" DVC (already had) Purchased in 2005
MISC connectors 25.00 (radio shack)

I am running the factory 3.5 speakers up top along with the components they are holding up ok except when I really turn it up. I will be buying the kicker speakers soon. As for the back speakers I am not sure what I want to do. probably just leave them for now.
If you do not have the infinity system the PAC LOC will do just fine, no expensive processor is needed. I have bought some crappy LOC's in the past the the PAC does pretty good for only 12 bucks.