Uconnect 5.0 still no update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they ever come out with an update to fix the problems they are having like the compass? Not that it's a big deal just this hasn't worked for over a year

rick-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some backround I have a 2013 rcsb and I'm on my second 5.0 under warranty. I just installed an update on my Uconnect 5.0 last week. I didn't see anything that changed due to the update.

You mentioned the compass. Here is an answer from Ram customer center when I asked why my compass no longer works:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center.

We apologize for the issue you experienced with your Uconnect system and
appreciate the time you took to bring this matter to our attention.

Uconnect 5.0 was not intended to have the compass feature. There may
have been concerns or restrictions on the feature in that unit. When the
software was updated with the new software, that feature may have been
removed.

I had my 5.0 replaced at the dealership I bought the truck from, but never checked the compass. A few months later, I took the truck in for some unrelated work at a differant dealer (closer) and figured I would have them fix the compass.(I don't really use it, but I bought the truck with it so......) That dealer told me my truck never came with a compass and if I wanted it I would have to pay to install. Well that didn't go well so I emailed and the above reply is what I got. So with all these words, I don't think you will be getting a compass evan though you bought a truck with a compass button.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Let me get this straight... the radio has a button specifically FOR "Compass", the owner's manual specifically lists the compass function...

But now Ram/Chrysler says it wasn't suppose to have a compass? Seriously? Have they lost their loving minds, or just forget to run that response by their team of lawyers?

For some backround I have a 2013 rcsb and I'm on my second 5.0 under warranty. I just installed an update on my Uconnect 5.0 last week. I didn't see anything that changed due to the update.

You mentioned the compass. Here is an answer from Ram customer center when I asked why my compass no longer works:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center.

We apologize for the issue you experienced with your Uconnect system and
appreciate the time you took to bring this matter to our attention.

Uconnect 5.0 was not intended to have the compass feature. There may
have been concerns or restrictions on the feature in that unit. When the
software was updated with the new software, that feature may have been
removed.

I had my 5.0 replaced at the dealership I bought the truck from, but never checked the compass. A few months later, I took the truck in for some unrelated work at a differant dealer (closer) and figured I would have them fix the compass.(I don't really use it, but I bought the truck with it so......) That dealer told me my truck never came with a compass and if I wanted it I would have to pay to install. Well that didn't go well so I emailed and the above reply is what I got. So with all these words, I don't think you will be getting a compass evan though you bought a truck with a compass button.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you install the compass modual and harness in the overhead console and wire it to the RA2 5.0 C-1 connector , I believe it will work with the old software .

Boulevardvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hell before I took out my uconnect 5.0 my compass wouldn't work either and the module for the compass is already in the overhead console. So for them to say that the 5.0 wasnt ment to have a compass is BS.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a compass in my 5.0 (2013). I haven't taken the latest update dated 4/21/2014 because of all of the issues people were having with this update.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a compass in my 5.0 (2013). I haven't taken the latest update dated 4/21/2014 because of all of the issues people were having with this update.
I was thinking of updating mine now , to see if I would have the option available to turn on or off the active grid lines under Parkview Camera settings for the backup camera I just installed .

Questions for those who have or had the RA2 5.0 Radio

#1 do you have active grid lines on your backup camreas? If installed.

#2 do you have the option to turn the grid lines on and off ? What software version do you have? If known.

#3 what kind of problems are people experiencing with the latest software on the 5.0 ?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of updating mine now , to see if I would have the option available to turn on or off the active grid lines under Parkview Camera settings for the backup camera I just installed .

Questions for those who have or had the RA2 5.0 Radio

#1 do you have active grid lines on your backup camreas? If installed.

#2 do you have the option to turn the grid lines on and off ? What software version do you have? If known.

#3 what kind of problems are people experiencing with the latest software on the 5.0 ?
I don't have a back up camera. I don't know what software version I an running.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have a back up camera. I don't know what software version I an running.
Thanks for sharing, so your COMPASS signal works though correct?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped the RA2 for the RA4 but before I did the compass worked perfectly. My truck is a 2014. The one problem I always had with it my RA2 was it wouldn't read my text messages.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swapped the RA2 for the RA4 but before I did the compass worked perfectly. My truck is a 2014. The one problem I always had with it my RA2 was it wouldn't read my text messages.
I upgraded to the RA2 , and it reads my text messages fine , pretty cool feature!
Did you have the back up cam with your RA2 , if so did you have the Active grid lines and the feature in park view settings to turn them on or off ? Thanks in advance for your response .

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I have the backup camera and it had the guidelines. I can't remember if I was able to turn them on or off for sure but if I had to guess I would say that I could.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if your truck came with a RA1 or RA2 but if it came we it an RA1 most or your driver settings show up in your E.V.I.C. If your truck comes with an RA2 your settings are in the radio. If you install a factory backup camera on your truck I would have the RA2 radio sales code added when you have the code done for the backup camera. I think that might be the way to have the menu there to turn the guidelines on and off. Not sure on this just guessing that is something you might try if the setting isn't there when you do your install. I know there is a sales code for the RA2 I noticed it when I watched them put the sales codes in for my mirrors.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very interesting indeed , I've never heard of an RA2 sales code Flash ??
Did you require a Flash when you upgraded to the RA4 8.4 ?

If I get the flash will I have more EVIC options in my RA2 radio ?

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another member here I know does not have the option to turn on & off the active grid lines , but he does have the lines on his RA2 , Not sure if his truck came with the 2 or the 1 also not sure if he has had a RA2 FLASH.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very interesting indeed , I've never heard of an RA2 sales code Flash ??
Did you require a Flash when you upgraded to the RA4 8.4 ?

If I get the flash will I have more EVIC options in my RA2 radio ?

I am not sure if you will have more options on the screen or not. I didn't have to flash my truck because the RA2 shows them in the screen just like the RA4 does, but I think I remember seeing RA4 on there as well. I wish I would have looked closer when I noticed the sales codes on his computer screen when he did my mirrors. We were kinda sneaking it on his day off. He was my old neighbor who was a tech at Dodge.....he had no idea we could add all of the stuff we have figured out. He actually copied me. He went from the RA1 to the RA2 like you did. I think the reason why some people can't get the compass to show up on there E.V.I.C when they add the RA2 and the compass module with the overhead console is because they don't have the correct sales code but I am just guessing on that. My truck came with the RA2 and I had the compass on my E.V.I.C. I know the RA1 trucks don't. There has to be a sales code of some kind because the RA1 and RA2 trucks show the settings in different formats one on the radio the other in the E.V.I.C. When you change the radios they still continue to show in different places so it has to be through the B.C.M

Last edited:

rick-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I get the idea that Fiat/Chrysler nor the dealers or techs are all speaking the same language as to whats going on.

I tried one last thing. I called the dealership the truck was bought from and who also replaced the first RA2/5.0. They said they probably just forgot to add it after they installed the new one. Said if I wanted to make an appointment they could take care of it.:crazy:

Well it will be awhile before I can get over there.

If I keep reading these forums though, I'll probably talked myself into an 8.4 switch-a-roo being there seems to be more knowlege on here than Chrysler has.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may be a silly question to some but I've never done this .

If I download the new software update onto my new thumb drive from www.driveuconnect.com , then I upload it into my RA2 Radio , can I use it to update another RA2 , OR do I have to download it again ?
Once I use the thumb drive for a download is it essentially empty ?

This must seem elementary to you guys LOL .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm maybe not so elementary. ..