Uconnect 8.4 & 8.4an update - 17.11.07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Anyone else lose the built in Pandora, iHeartRadio and Aha apps? I called uconnect support and they told me the app are no longer being supported, they're dropping ViaMobile and use to the phone apps streamed over bluetooth.

Personally, I liked using ViaMobile. Could control everything from the headunit without fumbling with my phone while driving. Seems like a step backwards IMO.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else lose the built in Pandora, iHeartRadio and Aha apps? I called uconnect support and they told me the app are no longer being supported, they're dropping ViaMobile and use to the phone apps streamed over bluetooth.

Personally, I liked using ViaMobile. Could control everything from the headunit without fumbling with my phone while driving. Seems like a step backwards IMO.
Wait - what??!! Viamobile dropped? From the radio or just the app... I have no 17 update on RA4 yet, but I saw where it was missing from my uconnect app on my GS7 last week, but logged out then back in, uconnect app updated and via mobile was back and worked.

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait - what??!! Viamobile dropped? From the radio or just the app... I have no 17 update on RA4 yet, but I saw where it was missing from my uconnect app on my GS7 last week, but logged out then back in, uconnect app updated and via mobile was back and worked.

They're removing the apps from the radio. So, you'll no longer have Pandora, iHeartRadio or Aha app on the radio. ViaMobile is still on the phone app, but 2017 trucks with RA3 or RA4 head units will not have any of the music streaming app on the radios. And they're progressively removing the apps from prior year radios.

I've called Uconnect twice and both times they confirmed they're phasing the apps out.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously! Removing functionality, not improving anything. Compmetely sucks. I use Pandora almost daily. Sirius too expensive for whay you get.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's my understanding that they are going to focus on Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto that will be pushed to all RA3/RA4 units when it's available.

Makes sense. But, ****, don't gimp the units until that **** is available.

doublestack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will not be available for any exiting Ram 2017 and prior radios according to emails I received from uconnect. Disappointing to say the least. I believe the 2018's will have it. No way to retro-install in current equipment.

I hope I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto these on the other makers required hardware changes not just software. If they figured out how to do it without they would be the first. Ford and GM cars you can add it but you are required to update the usb hardware on the car side. I dont know why they both can transmit data, perhaps its a speed issue. I can assume anything older would be usb2 as there wasnt a need to send tons of data over the usb, just audio so usb3 for live maps and such? Dont know but I would bet it wouldnt be a software upgrade.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last edited:

rpasetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
It's my understanding that they are going to focus on Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto that will be pushed to all RA3/RA4 units when it's available. ...

Where did you see that info about Apple Carplay and Android Auto? I know the newer FCA products will get them rolled out for 2018 -2019 but have heard nothing about putting them on the current Uconnect systems.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
no email. truck updated. no issues so far. I was praying they were psychic and added an "off" button for the radio {sigh} still no off button.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no email. truck updated. no issues so far. I was praying they were psychic and added an "off" button for the radio {sigh} still no off button.
Via mobile apps, i.e. Pandora?? Did you loose them?

Glockman19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my RA3 updated a few months ago. It kept trying to update a few days after I got the email. It works well except my NAV is now hosed. It lags really badly and is always a few blocks away from where I am. The Uconnect help line tells me I have to take it to the dealer.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
I got my RA3 updated a few months ago. It kept trying to update a few days after I got the email. It works well except my NAV is now hosed. It lags really badly and is always a few blocks away from where I am. The Uconnect help line tells me I have to take it to the dealer.

I never used them but I don't see them now. I didn't search hard since I use my cellphone for music.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh well, several threads all confirm they dump the steaming apps. Mandatory "update" no less. It is what it is, im very happy with my Ram overall so ill get used to changes and wait and see when/if android auto ever materializes for us with "older" headunits. Didnt think it would become obsolete so fast and that functionality would yanked tho. Ill finally learn to stream i guess. Edit - developers, how about only flush the apps when a replacement is actually available??

Last edited:

rpasetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
... how about only flush the apps when a replacement is actually available??

The 'planned obsolescence' of the RA3 and RA4 units seems to have been kicked up a notch by removal of original features. I doubt that the CPU speed and memory of these units could ever support Android Auto, or Apple Car Play. Besides why should they put that in when they can sell you a shiny new truck? ...

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point, however trading "up" my 2014 cc that runs great and has several mods that im happy with for a mandatory update that wacks audio functionalities (still dont ubderstand why) would make the wife seriously review her notes from watching CSI so much. [emoji12]

Last edited: