Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Audio & Electronics

Audio & Electronics

Uconnect 8.4 aftermarket amps & subs/speaker install

This is a discussion on Uconnect 8.4 aftermarket amps & subs/speaker install within the Audio & Electronics forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Hey guys & gals, New here to the forum, so forgive me in advance if wrong area, format etc... I'm ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.7 Cummings
Default Uconnect 8.4 aftermarket amps & subs/speaker install
Hey guys & gals,
New here to the forum, so forgive me in advance if wrong area, format etc... I'm installing a set of amps, component door speakers and subs to my 2014 ram 2500 with uconnect and keeping factory head unit. I purchased amp kits & a LC2i output converter to tie into the factory wiring. However, this type of head unit, may be beyond my understanding of typical output, and I am having trouble with the system not working. Has anyone done this type of install and knows what type of inverter or plug-n-play module that may take all the splicing into wires out of the process for me? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Tinmanzroad36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Hemi 5.7
You need a LOC that will present a load to the radio. The PAC LOC-PROs accomplish this.

Not sure if your LC2i does it. How do you have everything wired in?
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
We need a little info from ya. First what 8.4 do you have? is it the alpine system? Next why go with the LC2i as it will really only be able to tie one amp into the system?

Quote DavidRam- "They'd look cool sitting on my TV stand... Bang & Olufson designers can kiss my ass!"
Etroze86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2015 Silver CC
Some amps don't need an LOC. What brand are you using?

2015 Silver CrewCab Bighorn-Retroshop LED tails-Moto Metal-Nitto Terra Grapplers-Kicker Sound System-Bedrug-Extang Trifecta-MGP Caliper covers-Moe's 5" chrome tips
Graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Graygoose View Post
Some amps don't need an LOC. What brand are you using?
Can the Kicker amps simulate the resistance load for the Chrysler's that need it?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 Laramie
Originally Posted by adrianp89 View Post
Can the Kicker amps simulate the resistance load for the Chrysler's that need it?
most if not all amps that offer the high level input dont have the load resistance built into it.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by baum View Post
most if not all amps that offer the high level input dont have the load resistance built into it.
That's what I thought... I don't think I have ever even used the hi-level on amp before. .
Old 02-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Engine: HEMI 5.7
I would recomend returning the LC2i and going with the LCQ-1. The LCQ will allow you multi channel output so you can run mutiple amps.

Additionally, the equalization of the LCQ is very much needed in these trucks. The factory radios are set to pump up the high end to levels that really suck when you upgrade your system. Which is also why I would advise the LCQ even if your amps take line level input.

If you don't have the Alpine system then this might work for you.
Signal:
1. Identify the speaker outputs at the head unit harness and cut them. If you are using the LC2 then only cut the front. If you are using the LCQ then cut the front and rear.
2. Leave as much wire as possible on the harness side in case you need to reconnect them later.
3. Connect the harness side of the cuts to new wire and run that to wherever your Audio Control is located. Some prefer soldiering, some ue butt connectors, I personally like Posi-Lock connectors.
4. These will be your line level inputs the Audio Control will use.

Power for Audio Controls:
1. Two options, tap into an existing power source like the AUX power in the center console. or, use the power you are running to your amps. Both ways work.
2. Make sure you properly ground the unit. Easiest place it to use the ground your amps are using.

Obviously run the RCAs to the amps.
This should be it.
wsutard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2015 Silver CC
That's what I thought... I don't think I have ever even used the hi-level on amp before. .
we do a lot, less chance of added noise.

2015 Silver CrewCab Bighorn-Retroshop LED tails-Moto Metal-Nitto Terra Grapplers-Kicker Sound System-Bedrug-Extang Trifecta-MGP Caliper covers-Moe's 5" chrome tips
Graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Engine: 6.7 Cummings
You need a LOC that will present a load to the radio. The PAC LOC-PROs accomplish this.

Not sure if your LC2i does it. How do you have everything wired in?
I wired in the LC2i behind the head unit, splicing into the outgoing rear +/- wires. When I turn everything on, the subs barely come on, and the door speakers come on but drop out as soon as I start turning up the sound.
Tinmanzroad36 is offline   Reply With Quote