uConnect 8.4 can't browse my Android?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stwilson74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up a 2017 Big Horn 1500 with the uConnect 8.4 and I have a Samsung Note 5 Android phone running Nougat (7.0). When I play music from my phone over Bluetooth the browse button on the uConnect screen is greyed out so I cannot select what songs I want to play. It doesn't matter if I am in park, drive, neutral, or reverse. There was ONE time in the last week and a half that it worked and I honestly have no idea what I did differently. I have tried with Android Auto on the phone and without it.

To be clear the phone does pair and it will let me play my music, but I have to just randomly play whatever it decides or look at my phone to select songs.

When I connect the phone with USB it does not find my music, it just displays a few folders.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I tried searching standard Google searches and in the forum search and didn't find much helpful info, not sure if this is just a firmware bug or what.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just picked up a 2017 Big Horn 1500 with the uConnect 8.4 and I have a Samsung Note 4 Android phone running Nougat (7.0). When I play music from my phone over Bluetooth the browse button on the uConnect screen is greyed out so I cannot select what songs I want to play. It doesn't matter if I am in park, drive, neutral, or reverse. There was ONE time in the last week and a half that it worked and I honestly have no idea what I did differently. I have tried with Android Auto on the phone and without it.

To be clear the phone does pair and it will let me play my music, but I have to just randomly play whatever it decides or look at my phone to select songs.

When I connect the phone with USB it does not find my music, it just displays a few folders.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I tried searching standard Google searches and in the forum search and didn't find much helpful info, not sure if this is just a firmware bug or what.

Do you by chance store your music on an SD Card on the phone? Only songs stored on the internal memory will allow you to browse.

OP
OP
S

stwilson74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you by chance store your music on an SD Card on the phone? Only songs stored on the internal memory will allow you to browse.

Good info, thanks, but with the Note 4 there is only internal storage. I'll take a look at the folder structure and see if there is anything weird there but I think I just let everything save to the default locations and the thing that really drives me nuts is it worked once. Weird.

OP
OP
S

stwilson74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I moved all of my music into a folder named Music that was at the root of the storage, that did not help. I also tried the soft reset from the sticky thread in this forum and that did not fix it either.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What music app are you using? I use Spotify and I can't browse anything through the head unit, but I can use the controls to go forwards or backwards through the songs.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
try plugging it in with the usb and see if that allows you to browse

OP
OP
S

stwilson74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using the default Music app to play locally saved music. USB allowed me to browse but wouldn't play, something about file type

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good info, thanks, but with the Note 4 there is only internal storage. I'll take a look at the folder structure and see if there is anything weird there but I think I just let everything save to the default locations and the thing that really drives me nuts is it worked once. Weird.

Note 4 has the expandable memory slot to install a SD card

OP
OP
S

stwilson74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol its tapa is even tagging my posts with the model, I just didn't notice it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

vegaskiller73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With my Galaxy S7, google music, via Bluetooth, my truck will allow browse but will not pick up Artist and/or album titles. However, I can pick a letter under browse and I get a list of "Not Available" but it somehow goes to that artist's name/album. Taking a guess as to which to choose, opens artist's album and then lists songs/tracks under said artist as it should.
Seems because of the way google encrypts it's music, it cannot get the data needed. So, why does it pick up song titles but not the artist/albums? It does pick up Playlists.

vegaskiller73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found something glitchy just the other day. In Google Music, there is an option to show "downloaded only". If that is on, then the head unit will not play via BT. Turn it off and it starts playing.

Still haven't figured out how it can recognize songs, but not artist and albums. However, once a song is playing, you can see the info about the album and artists.

I sure wish they'd get this right for the older models.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found something glitchy just the other day. In Google Music, there is an option to show "downloaded only". If that is on, then the head unit will not play via BT. Turn it off and it starts playing.

Still haven't figured out how it can recognize songs, but not artist and albums. However, once a song is playing, you can see the info about the album and artists.

I sure wish they'd get this right for the older models.

Just speculating here but if the file is encrypted by Google Music App and the title is the file name it could be read, where as, the Artist/Album is embedded in the files METADATA and is read by the Google Music App and is then displayed. That would explain the difference.