uConnect 8.4 on the fritz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2014 1500 uConnect 8.4 Alpine
About 3 months ago my radio began to not start up normally. I've gotten half a dozen different results, including:

• Normal - Everything works
  • Mostly normal - Everything works but will not switch input to XM
  • Frozen - Stays on the legal disclaimer screen and will not move, no audio
  • Frozen - Black screen / red border with message: Checking for USB Stick with an update. If a USB stick with an update is detected an update can be performed
  • Frozen - Black screen / red border with message: There was a problem starting the head unit. If this error persists after an ignition cycle please see your dealer

The unit has frozen twice, music keeps playing (xm) but screen is unresponsive. The above issues are completely intermittent, doesn't matter if I use remote start or key, time of day, etc. The ignition cycle does not work or at least only works intermittently. It has become a complete roll of the dice if I will have a radio when I get in my truck.
I'm a little leery of taking it to the dealer for 3 reasons:
1) It's out of warranty now
2) The last time the dealer tried to update the radio (normal service during oil change) they bricked the radio and had to order a new one, took a week of driving around with NO screen
3) I drove to the dealer once when the screen was up. I went in, spoke to a tech and had them come out to the truck, started it up and the radio worked fine. The tech told me to come back next time it happened and to not turn off the truck (I guess he assumes I will leave my keys in the car and it running while I walk in the waiting room? Right.)

When I go to the uConnect site and put in my VIN, the only update they show me is one I installed a year ago for the Siri connect. Is there a way of getting a driver / software to wipe & reinstall the radio? I saw the sticky on a "soft reset" but it doesn't actually list what the problems are that that would remedy. Any help / direction is appreciated. Thanks!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has the current update and has done the red screen to me. I did everything i could to overcome it to no avail on a USB with the old update which never worked. It worked itself out over night magically. This leads me to believe the memory in the headunit is going bad, as this is the kind of crap I get when a computers hdd beings to fail. It will work, then it wont, then magically it will.

I dont use XM so I cant help you there, but I have had it lock up on that red screen and had a long drive to work without radio.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956