Uconnect 8.4 Screen Frozen - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So my battery decided that the cold was too much and I needed to jump my Ram with my Tundra......I waited until dark so no one saw me :) anyways, truck is driving fine but the 8.4 touch screen is frozen....touchy no worky.....when I use the manual climate controls etc. the changes register ie. the display changes temp readings etc. but the "touch" part of the touch screen doesn't register that I am touching it.....it is like it is locked.

Any ideas on what to do?

And my damn check engine light is on now.....

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is your radio a factory install , or an upgrade ? If an upgrade what's your trim level and what was your original radio ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Reset the system by removing your negative battery cable for about 20 min. I would run into these issues when I was upgrading my stereo system and this tended to sort everything out.

However, I dont guarantee this will work.

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks......details are in my sig......2014 Longhorn

I'll try the neg cable over the weekend.

Hell I might just replace the battery if it is this weak to not be able to sit for 8 days in 0-20 degrees.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Hell I might just replace the battery if it is this weak to not be able to sit for 8 days in 0-20 degrees.
Laramie Longhorn 2500.

So this means your original radio was the RA4 8.4 , I presume ?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque

Yeah, you need some kind of battery heater if you are going to leave it in that cold of weather for that long.

I used to live in Fairbanks and you could kill your vehicle in 30 minutes if you didn't plug it in. Had both a battery and block heater.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd definitely install a new battery, and while your at it touch the NEG & positive together for 10 seconds and then leave them disconnected for 20 minutes minimum, if you have the opportunity leave them disconnected overnight .
As stated above a good heated battery wrap wouldn't be a bad idea.

IF your RA4 8.4 IS a factory install , just take it to the dealer if your still under Warranty.

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks guys, everything is 100% factory as the Longhorn was pretty darn loaded as it came......I have an 8 year extended and <24K miles...........

I could always take it to the dealer and be lazy.........normally I wrench on everything myself but......this has a warranty and when it comes to electronics I usually punt.

Thanks

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most dealers are well let's say not well versed sometimes when it comes to electronics ... no issues with wrenching on your own stuff buddy , I do the same , but if you take it to the dealer while it's locked up they will likely install the latest software FREE ! and if that doesn't work they will replace it with a new one . The msrp on a new RA4 8.4 AN is about 2 grand ...
Just saying it could be a NEW free radio for ya ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I took the old New Englander approach to fixing things.......I cussed it out pretty good, slammed the door and went to bed.

Got up this morning fired it up and everything works.........like nothing ever happened.

So there is that.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys......hopefully things are ok from here. I think that battery will be swapped out however, and a battery warmer might be an investment.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If this happens again take.pictures and get it.on video. So.youl.have documented proof for a dealer replacement

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Remember guys that these things are basically computers in the dash. Sometimes they act up. Nothing unusual.

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
And then yesterday I fired it up, it was about -10 overnight with single digit day time temps.....the main dash display shut off after the initial "Press foot on brake to start" message. I let it warm up and drove it to the store,when I fired it back up from the store, everything was normal, almost like the dash display had a cold shutoff or something....

Anyone ever run into that?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Do you know if the truck's software is completely up to date?

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Do you know if the truck's software is completely up to date?

Software was updated when all recalls were done 2-3 months ago.

The only major issue I ahve now is the annoying check engine light is on since my battery died.

It was disconcerting that my main display was completely off when the rig sat overnight in -10 degree temps. Is that a design feature vs. a problem? anyone know?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
As recommended above, if you can get a photo or video of it when it happens, the dealership should be able to assist you. Depending on your mileage, the basic limited warranty should cover a repair like this.

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
As recommended above, if you can get a photo or video of it when it happens, the dealership should be able to assist you. Depending on your mileage, the basic limited warranty should cover a repair like this.

Thanks, I also have an 8 year extended warranty on the truck and I am under 23K on it.....it is behaving fine now, should we get some more -15 nights I'll see if the display will shut down.

In the meantime.....how do I rid myself of this annoying check engine light from the dead battery? Bringing this thing to a dealer every time is not exactly high on the list of things that make me happy.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
as far as I can tell, the 8.4 head unit is pretty finicky and fickle. the 5.0 was less so but just as delicate to various environmental factors, such as starting your truck, trying to link a Bluetooth phone, etc. sorry for the bitter sarcasm.

OP
OP
River19

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The good news is the damn check engine light finally shut off after a few days of driving it around and some swearing at it. Not sure if it was the drive cycles or the swearing but it is off.

Now for the constant winter battle with the TPMS......and BTW, I'd say only about 5% of gas stations around me have air compressors that will go up >65psi

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the old New Englander approach to fixing things.......I cussed it out pretty good, slammed the door and went to bed.

Got up this morning fired it up and everything works.........like nothing ever happened.

So there is that.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys......hopefully things are ok from here. I think that battery will be swapped out however, and a battery warmer might be an investment.

This happened to me in Feb with the touchscreen in my 13 Viper, which is the same as our trucks. Car had been sitting in Hibernation mode in my unheated garage for 6 weeks, no tender. Was 15 when I attempted to start, took 4 trys (this coming winter, using a tender!) Was on my way to my dealer for a recall. Anyway, like you, my touchscreen was frozen. Manual controls worked, and registered on the screen, but woudnt respond to touch. 20 minute drive to dealer, and sitting idling waiting to get in , nothing. So, I had them look at it.

But, by the time the recall service was done, screen worked perfectly, like nothing ever happened. My tech said it was probably the bitter cold. Has been fine since, except sometimes the radio icon is slow (all the other icons, climate, apps, etc, are instant when you tap).

I guess the moral is, these screens don't like it cold.