UCONNECT and iPhone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I'm trying to get this figured out. I have my phone paired successfully with uconnect. When I receive an incoming call, it asks me if I want to answer through uconnect, or use the phone. Is there a way to automatically do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I'm trying to get this figured out. I have my phone paired successfully with uconnect. When I receive an incoming call, it asks me if I want to answer through uconnect, or use the phone. Is there a way to automatically do this?

On your phone or on the radio???

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think you just have to hold down the phone button on the steering wheel. Mine automatically answers through the radio. It also reads texts. I just wish uconnect and apple could get together and figure out the issue with sending texts through dictation.

OP
OP
bellaireroad

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you just have to hold down the phone button on the steering wheel. Mine automatically answers through the radio. It also reads texts. I just wish uconnect and apple could get together and figure out the issue with sending texts through dictation.

Thanks, so you have to hold the button down on the wheel to get uconnect to handle the incoming call? I don't want to be fumbling around for the phone. I wish there was a way just to do this automatically

GL10DR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I think this is how it works:
If your phone is paired with your Uconnect system, then phone calls will automatically come through your speaker system when you are in the car. If you are listening to the stereo system, Uconnect will interrupt you to let you know that you have a phone call. There are two ways to accept or reject a call, depending on whether or not you’re already on the phone.

If you are not currently on the phone, simply press the Uconnect phone button, which looks like a telephone and is located on either the center console or the steering wheel, to answer the call. To reject the phone call, press and hold the Uconnect phone button until you hear a beep.

If you are in the middle of a phone call when you receive a second call, the Uconnect system will alert you with whatever call waiting noise is standard on your cell phone. To accept the call, press the Uconnect phone button. To ignore the call, don’t press anything.

If you want to switch between two phone calls, press and hold the Uconnect phone button until you hear a single beep. After you hear the beep, release the button; if you hold it too long, you will create a conference call.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe I did it wrong or something but the other day I got a call through the Uconnect and tried to answer it by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel. That transferred the call to the phone for some reason. I usually don't answer calls using the steering wheel button as what I usually do, when I get a call through the Uconnect, is press the answer button on the screen when the call pops up on the screen, then the call stays on the Uconnect.

I just wish uconnect and apple could get together and figure out the issue with sending texts through dictation.

I found this the other day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js8uNKTY2Zs

...I've received a few texts, so I know that works, but haven't tried to send one yet so don't know how good that part works (or doesn't).

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

i hit the "phone" button on the steering wheel and tell siri who i want to send my texts to all the time. After siri finds the contact, i speak, siri repeats it and then siri asks if i am reasdy to send and then siri sends the texts......Is this what you mean by dictation?

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Wow, i'll have to try that. I just picked mine up yesterday and haven't figured all that out yet. Not to high jack, but in the setup it shows my iPhone as a phone and audio device - if i use Waze, every time Waze talks it switches from the radio to iphone and I have to touch the radio icon on the screen to switch back. I found if I disconnect the iphone from the audio device, waze speaks through the speaker on the phone, and the phone operates normally through the stereo. Which is what I want (no music on my phone - use an ipod plugged into the USB) - but when I restart the truck, it connects both , I tried deleting the iphone from the audio device section, it deletes it from both - any idea if you can turn the audio part off or not have it connect as an audio device?

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
i hit the "phone" button on the steering wheel and tell siri who i want to send my texts to all the time. After siri finds the contact, i speak, siri repeats it and then siri asks if i am reasdy to send and then siri sends the texts......Is this what you mean by dictation?

Yep. Mine doesn't work correctly most of the time. Not that I text that often but if I have a gadget, I like it to work properly.

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to update the software on my 8.4 stereo to be able to receive and send texts, but it works flawlessly now. I have a 2015 Big Horn

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have a 2016 and not once has the text message thing worked. Never tells me I have a new message and Siri will not send a text message for me. Kinda sucks

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2016 and not once has the text message thing worked. Never tells me I have a new message and Siri will not send a text message for me. Kinda sucks

You can't send texts from the radio with an iPhone, but should be able to get Siri to do it. All the radio does is pass on the audio, so if you invoke Siri eyes free the phone should do everything it does when not in the car.

The radio will receive messages, but you need to go into the Bluetooth settings on your phone and turn on "show notifications" for the UConnect.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I've done all that. Also I held the button long enough to invoke Siri to send a text but it won't send it

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Well I went down and did a soft reboot of the Uconnect and now I can send texts by invoking Siri through Uconnect. Now I will have to See if it alerts me of incoming texts

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Only one step closer. As stated above I can now send texts with Siri through uconnect, but still no notification of new incoming texts. I'm pretty sure that I do have the latest version of uconnect since I sat in the dealer parking lot the day I bought it waiting for uconnect to update.

Gonna try to delete the pairing of my phone, reboot my phone and then pair it again and see if that works. All this hassle kinda makes me want to switch back to android since they work much better and have more integration with uconnect.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Nothing I tried worked which was quite annoying. I ended up getting a galaxy S7 yesterday and it works perfectly