Uconnect RA2 to RA4 upgrade assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added that the mirror is NOT the antenna. I believe the two extra ports on the back of the radio are for the cellular antenna, and one for WIFI. I've been trying to track down the cell antenna but no luck yet, and not that important to me since I have no plans on using Uconnect.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
From what I see you need to order one from a truck that came with uconnect 8.4, and also the cable as the antenna itself has two pigtails, so one for sat/gps and the other for cellular. look on the tech website, im looking for advice here because i want the phone to work.

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I am really interested in this as I have installed the mirror and I tried to connect to the assist and 911 but to no avail, If you figure it out please let us all know what needs to be done and what parts. It would be appreciated very much! Thanks in advance.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Something has me confused, some vp3 and vp4 radios have 4 antenna ports, while others have only 2. My assumption is that the units have different air cards in them and that the ones with 2 ports have an internal antenna, and the ones with 4 ports require an external antenna.
in looking through this I have also seen that in parts diagrams a separate gps antenna, which I believe RAM engineers determined was unnecessary.
I'm thinking the antennas used in the vp1 and vp2 trucks are different from the ones that come with the vp3 and vp4 trucks, and possibly the vp3 and vp4 trucks have different antenna and or hookups based on wheter they have 2 or 4 ports. Ok I made my case here, but there must be someone out there who knows the answer. Is there possibly a flash required as well. In the earlier built trucks many customers had their radios replaced under warranty for faulty aircards in the radios?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Something has me confused, some vp3 and vp4 radios have 4 antenna ports, while others have only 2. My assumption is that the units have different air cards in them and that the ones with 2 ports have an internal antenna, and the ones with 4 ports require an external antenna.
in looking through this I have also seen that in parts diagrams a separate gps antenna, which I believe RAM engineers determined was unnecessary.
I'm thinking the antennas used in the vp1 and vp2 trucks are different from the ones that come with the vp3 and vp4 trucks, and possibly the vp3 and vp4 trucks have different antenna and or hookups based on wheter they have 2 or 4 ports. Ok I made my case here, but there must be someone out there who knows the answer. Is there possibly a flash required as well. In the earlier built trucks many customers had their radios replaced under warranty for faulty aircards in the radios?
I have 4 antenna ports in the back of my radio, I only use 2 of them. The sirius and gps is one and I think the other is the am/fm antenna. If we could just find out what each one is for that would be a big help. The wiring diagram only shows 2 being used so I guess the what are the other two mystery antenna ports used for???

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
What wiring diagram? The tech authority wesite shows four of them being used
C3 AM/FM
C5 GPS
C6 SAT RADIO
C7 CELLULAR

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
What wiring diagram? The tech authority wesite shows three of them being used 1 for AM/FM 1 for Sat/Gps and 1 for cellular.

I didn't see the cellular antenna, Can you tell me where on the tech authority site?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Nice, where do the ends of the connections go to? Is there a pigtail or a different antenna? Pictures will help, thanks. I did see the website Just didn't realize that was the Tech authority site, thought it was Chrysler. I have the yellow and white connector, I just need to track down the brown one where it goes to. I dont know if I need another antenna or a pigtail somewhere.

Last edited:

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That brown should lead to under the headliner and be towards the front of the drivers side side visor area. I have been trying to track that part number down.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
If you look up the premium sound and look at the antenna on the tech authority website, the 3d model the antenna shows 2 pigtails. Also the third antenna on the pic of the vp3 seems to show those 2 wires running together.

Also if you look at the cellular one its the same picture.

sdar antenna.jpg

cell antenna.jpg

antenna closeup.jpg

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
At this point I am only guessing but I belive at the least we need a sister cable to the sdar antenna from the radio. and possibly we need a new antenna that supports both. If one of you has the time and a good parts guy, take the vin from a truck with the vp3 or vp4 and have him look up the parts and share them with the rest of us.

Here is a picture from this forum where jeepguy 1980 painted his (sharkfin), notice the two leads. The yellow one is for the sat/nav) the reddish one is for cellular.

antenna pic.jpg

I think I found all we need to do this. Check out this PDF

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/docs/cc/dddpsrca.pdf

Now who is gonna buy the parts and try it???

part numbers.jpg

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Well I hooked up the shark-fin antenna and guess what it works. I went from no G to 3G. Note the cicle with the line through it next to the APP button in the first pic. In pics 2, 4 and 5 notice it now says 3G. Also pic 3 shows mirror without red light on, and only turns green when I press assist, I was too nervous to try 911.

I was not able to register with uconnect yet, but I was able to connect to yelp.

NO CELL SIGNAL

DSCN0220.jpg

CELL SIGNAL 3G INITIALIZIN UCONNECT REGISTRATION

DSCN0228.jpg

NO RED LIGHT ON MIRROR

DSCN0231.jpg

YELP SEARCH

DSCN0236.jpg

YELP FOUND

DSCN0241.jpg

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I have the red light on the mirror, I have to check the other icon on the uconnect apps. Ok so no 3g icon on the app icon. So what I need to do is check for the antenna connection near the passenger side kick panel and then maybe add the shark fin antenna. I have the puck antenna on my truck. Thank you so much for this list and the how to do! I think I can say from all of us Thank you very much!!! You sir are a scholar and a gentleman! I see what is next as I am going to get into checking this tomorrow after the toy run!

Last edited:

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
So when the red light goes out that means you are connected now? Did you have the puck antenna on your truck and what year is your radio? Are you on the free trial with uconnect and sirius? One other thing, did you get a service vehicle phone message on your 8.4? I know question after question!! Thanks in advance!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
When the light is red it means there is a problem with the phone, when it is green it means you are using it to call uconnect, roadside assistance etc. When it is out it just means that you are not actively using it.

As far as the radio I have it is a 2014, from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I bought off a crook on Ebay, he lied to me and said it was from a truck, it works just fine and uses all the Ram logos and screens. What ticked me off was Ebay sided with him, and his listing stated clear as day it was from a truck, he even packaged it with the Ram bezel. When I got it
i ran the vin and found out it was from a jeep, the part number on back also shows up as a jeep part.

As far as serious goes, this is wierd I originally had the RA1 and upgraded to the RA2, when I did that I had to call them and pay a 15.00 fee to transfer it. When I installed this one it just worked, but obviously on a different account since the radio ID is different. When I look in the menu it says not subscribed? Not going to call them unless it stops working, may still be on the donor vehicle free trial?

FYI the shark fin from jeepguy's truck is different than the one I bought, mine looks like the one in the Tech authority website, not sure why only that mine mounts in the front Reg cab and his mounted in the back of the cab.

As far as connecting and registering with uconnect that might be tough as they mayrefuse us because our radios did not and according to them and Ram cannot be in our trucks. I am going to try though.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When the light is red it means there is a problem with the phone, when it is green it means you are using it to call uconnect, roadside assistance etc. When it is out it just means that you are not actively using it.

As far as the radio I have it is a 2014, from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I bought off a crook on Ebay, he lied to me and said it was from a truck, it works just fine and uses all the Ram logos and screens. What ticked me off was Ebay sided with him, and his listing stated clear as day it was from a truck, he even packaged it with the Ram bezel. When I got it
i ran the vin and found out it was from a jeep, the part number on back also shows up as a jeep part.

As far as serious goes, this is wierd I originally had the RA1 and upgraded to the RA2, when I did that I had to call them and pay a 15.00 fee to transfer it. When I installed this one it just worked, but obviously on a different account since the radio ID is different. When I look in the menu it says not subscribed? Not going to call them unless it stops working, may still be on the donor vehicle free trial?

FYI the shark fin from jeepguy's truck is different than the one I bought, mine looks like the one in the Tech authority website, not sure why only that mine mounts in the front Reg cab and his mounted in the back of the cab.

As far as connecting and registering with uconnect that might be tough as they mayrefuse us because our radios did not and according to them and Ram cannot be in our trucks. I am going to try though.

So basically what you get from the antenna is the ability to connect with yelp? That's all so far ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk