Uconnect RA2 to RA4 upgrade assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
No, yodge that is not all so far you get 911 access and the ability to register and connect to uconnect, but I can't say for sure, that uconnect will allow it, as thier system will not recognize you vin as having the RA4 radio. I believe you need you dealer to recode your vin to RA4. I had upgraded from RA1 to RA2, and I wanted the dealershp to update me to RA2, he said he could not, but he could update me to RA3 or RA4, which I found very odd. Anyway he said he would do it for free, so next time I am in there I will ask again, in the meantime I'm going to call uconnect and talk to one of thier idiots oops I meant representatives.

Oh and thanks Yodge for all you help with this, as the saying goes "The right to critisize brings along with it the obligation to participate!"

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I got into the dash area, one wire to the blue connector on the passenger side panel. This will be fun to get this wire under the seats and in the channel to the other side. It looks like all seats and the carpet will be coming out to do this. As I look at this it might be an entire day to install this wire and the new antenna. But who said all mods are easy! Time to get the service manual for the truck. Might save for a while and put in the remote start at the same time.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice, I was trying to use the uConnect app to see if i could get it to pass data via the phone and connect that way but never worked (since it says you can), and I gave up. This is cool if you want to use the uConnect apps but I did this mod for the bluetooth and GPS.

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
good thread , im in canada and as such have no access to the apps , i bought the 8.4 from oemautopartsco and installed it saturday . I have the occasional phone service error as well. Im not sure what i can do in this situation as well. Ive sent their support an email with the pic of the error. see what they say .

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
good thread , im in canada and as such have no access to the apps , i bought the 8.4 from oemautopartsco and installed it saturday . I have the occasional phone service error as well. Im not sure what i can do in this situation as well. Ive sent their support an email with the pic of the error. see what they say .

IMG_4817_zps83dd2e59.jpg

Was this the message you had on your screen?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Freezie, did you buy the Oemparts bezel with the volume control? Also does your radio have any of the apps loaded. I heart radio, padora, slacker etc. And do you have the controls app on the bottom of the screen? I ask because I want to add the cargo cam and I need that button to access it. Their website claims they reprogram the radios, I wondering exactly what that means? Can you post some pics of your screens. Thanks

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
Rherman1 , yup , thats it exactly.
cptwing. the apps button is there , but i have nothing listed and i cannot login ( shouldnt be able to anyways to being in canada) i have full sirius (dont know how long that will last ) nav works great . i chose not to purchase their bezel , as i can always buy one down the road . i just use my wheel controls and reused my old bezel ( no big deal fits very well actually ) i dont see any control apps button , where do you want me to look for that one ? .

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The control button is down on the lower toolbar it shows up in lieu of the settings button. When opened it contains the settings for heated seats and heated steering wheel, but also contains the button for launching the CHMSL
cargo cam. Mine does not have that, I believe it is activated if the radio detects the equipment in the truck, I was just wondering if OEM had enabled it. I believe I can enable it with RAX jailbreak or Customtronix Lockpick.

ucon.jpg

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
here is my screen ,my controls show my dimming mirror and heated seats and steering wheel.

20141208_083817.jpg

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
yes my truck does .
You cant see the pictures ? it shows on my personal computer as well as my business computer..

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yes I see it now, for some reason my work computer could not see it thanks. I just have one other question if you don,t mind. When you open the controls app does the cargo cam button show up and do you have the cargo cam

OP
OP
A

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, you guys have come a long way into doing a full conversion. This is what I had hoped would happen when I first posted this thread. The wiring harness is still a mystery so I hope someone can shed some light. With that said, the center console media hub that contains USB, SD, and Aux is PN 68096428AD. I don't know if it's plug and play or not but I would guess that map updates are going to come on SD card.

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
It doesn't show it , but i don't have the cargo cam installed , just the reverse cam , which I got installed after I bought the truck .

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just read this whole thread and still no answer to my question. I am upgrading my radio from a 3.0 originally to a 5.0 and finally to a 8.4 ra3. What do I need to buy other than the mirror to add my bluetooth mic?

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
i have no idea , sorry .
however oem is sending me a plug for the back of my radio thats supposed to stop the 911 message from coming up . Great support from them so far !

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
i have no idea , sorry .
however oem is sending me a plug for the back of my radio thats supposed to stop the 911 message from coming up . Great support from them so far !

That would be much simpler than adding the cables and changing out the antenna. Please keep us informed on this.

freezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
yeah for sure . im assuming its a plug with a resistor, but i will let you know .

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I had thought of a satellite antenna just for ***** and giggles to see if it works.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Here may be the final piece of the puzzle.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=180908

Kudos to getupkid and duneflyer. Who have just about solved the volume control HVAC bezel issue.

I installed the upgraded sharkfin antenna as I have a regular cab with the antenna in the front. I am in the process of installing the CHMSL cam so I needed to get in there anyway. I am wondering if the thing OEM is sending Freezie is some sort of small cellular antenna. I also wonder if there may be a small cellular antenna or even a loose one that could attach to the radio using the Fakra connector.

With mine I now have full 3G and the phone does work, I did get to the uconnect registration page, but have not yet tried to register. Oh the 911 does work, I oops accidently tried it, got a tongue lashing from the 911 operator, but the stormtroopers did not show up. I just wanted to know for sure I would not recommend trying this though.

I am also in the process of cutting two bezels one of each I am going to seam them to follow the groove that encircles the whole center stack, I believe it will give me a nice clean seamless factory look, Wondering if anyone else tried this? What I should wind up with is similar to the OEM nav bezel minus the fugly volume rocker switch they used and with a seam that should look like it belongs there.