Uconnect Update??? Please help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK so I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 8.4 Uconnect radio! My truck has been bugging me the last few days to update the system, which I really did not want to because my dad has a 2016 and I didnt like the way his Sirius XM looked how it shows the album artwork instead of the Sirius XM channel logos like my truck does! So i really didnt want to update, finally after getting sick of pressing "later" instead of update now I said screw it and updated! Well sure enough it changed my radio to exactly like my dads 2016 looks! I really dont like it at all, so me being an idiot went into the settings and clicked restore default system...not the one that says default setting but the default software or whatever the one is in the system information! Well for some reason now my radio says SRT when I first start it instead of the RAM logo, and also the radio has no volume until I get to 18 or 19...like 17 and lower is like the radio is muted!

So I guess my questions are...

1) Is there a way for me to Roll back or Downgrade to get the firmware I had before doing the update, that i was perfectly happy with?

2) How do I find the serial number of my radio? When i go to uconnect website under the update section it ask for my 17 digit number and all i can find in my radio system info is 15 digit numbers!

Can someone please help me, It would be nice if I could roll back the update and go back to my radio exactly like it was with the last update before updating it a couple hours ago! the current software I have now is 17.11.07 ...but now after restoring default system my truck says SRT when starting! whats going on??? Thanks in advance!

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I had to take mine to the dealer, update killed my USB hub

it has been hell, these boys and girls at Ram need to find some better IT people, releasing updates they have a .000001% of a chance of causing harm need to be sent back for more work prior to being released to the public.

OP
OP
S

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had to take mine to the dealer, update killed my USB hub

it has been hell, these boys and girls at Ram need to find some better IT people, releasing updates they have a .000001% of a chance of causing harm need to be sent back for more work prior to being released to the public.

Yeah its def BS if you ask me...I was perfectly fine with how my radio was before! now the sirius xm channels look dumb as hell! And for example I listen to Opie and all the other shows on the Faction XL channel, well before it had the updated FACTION XL logo and now the radio has a ugly blue square that says THE OPIE AND ANTHONY channel...Anthony hasnt even been a thing for a couple years now so wth...

Can someone please walk me through how to Roll back update so I can get back to 16.13.13 or whatever it was, I do not like the 17.11.07 I have on my radio right now

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The SRT logo will likely correct itself. The 17 digit number on the UConnect site you need to enter is your VIN . It should present you with the option to download the prior (Siri) update version 16.x.x ...follow the instructions to manually install the firmware using a USB flash drive.

Warning: flashing older firmware has worked without issue on older versions prior to the OTA, but I have not heard of anyone trying this with the latest 17.x.x version yet. If you decide to do this beware and please report back on your success or failure.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah its def BS if you ask me...I was perfectly fine with how my radio was before! now the sirius xm channels look dumb as hell! And for example I listen to Opie and all the other shows on the Faction XL channel, well before it had the updated FACTION XL logo and now the radio has a ugly blue square that says THE OPIE AND ANTHONY channel...Anthony hasnt even been a thing for a couple years now so wth...

Can someone please walk me through how to Roll back update so I can get back to 16.13.13 or whatever it was, I do not like the 17.11.07 I have on my radio right now

I am not trying to be a jerk so please don't take this the wrong way, but why does it matter if it's the station logo or the album work on the radio? While driving you should be more focused on the road rather than paying attention to the logo or the artwork on the radio.

Either way I hope you get it figured out!

Here is how you get your serial number:
bf539073bf696b399fbfea71a2c45166.jpg

Check out this thread as well and if you need any radio help, MPgrimm2 is your guy!
INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA) - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

OP
OP
S

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not trying to be a jerk so please don't take this the wrong way, but why does it matter if it's the station logo or the album work on the radio? While driving you should be more focused on the road rather than paying attention to the logo or the artwork on the radio.

Either way I hope you get it figured out!

Here is how you get your serial number:
bf539073bf696b399fbfea71a2c45166.jpg

Check out this thread as well and if you need any radio help, MPgrimm2 is your guy!
INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA) - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Thank you Curly, I understand what your saying by the whats it matter what my radio looks like etc etc.. and I'm not taking it the wrong way! But I do indeed think the older style looks a MILLION times nicer than how it looks now! The big ugly blue square is ridiculous and ugly as hell! And for example, like I mentioned I listen to Faction XL talk channel 90% of the time! Right now my radio says "The Opie And Anthony Channel" ...Thats just dumb, it hasn't been OPie and Anthony for almost 2 years now....there was another channel that said like Extreme Talk, which it was like the pop radio channel! So just a couple of channels while surfing through were completely messed up! So yes, the new style that shows the artwork and ugly ass blue square on the side bugs the hell out of me since I have been used to how it looked for a few years now and all of a sudden I have new inaccurate titles on all my channels! its really bothering me and I want to go back! ...Like you said, i have read a few places where people said they can bounce back and forth between updates on their 2014s so Im assuming thats the case for my 13, but i dont know enough about these radios to figure it out myself!

Also, thank you for the link to that thread, it should be very helpful!

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you Curly, I understand what your saying by the whats it matter what my radio looks like etc etc.. and I'm not taking it the wrong way! But I do indeed think the older style looks a MILLION times nicer than how it looks now! The big ugly blue square is ridiculous and ugly as hell! And for example, like I mentioned I listen to Faction XL talk channel 90% of the time! Right now my radio says "The Opie And Anthony Channel" ...Thats just dumb, it hasn't been OPie and Anthony for almost 2 years now....there was another channel that said like Extreme Talk, which it was like the pop radio channel! So just a couple of channels while surfing through were completely messed up! So yes, the new style that shows the artwork and ugly ass blue square on the side bugs the hell out of me since I have been used to how it looked for a few years now and all of a sudden I have new inaccurate titles on all my channels! its really bothering me and I want to go back! ...Like you said, i have read a few places where people said they can bounce back and forth between updates on their 2014s so Im assuming thats the case for my 13, but i dont know enough about these radios to figure it out myself!

You are welcome. I have never seen the old style radio so I cannot comment on it. . I understand what you are saying and all that matters is if you are happy about it! [emoji16]

I hope that thread and/or MPgrimm2 can help you. He is very knowledgeable about these radios and should have some answer for you. With post to his thread or send him a PM. He replies fairly quick. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
See my instructions above if you want to role back...

OP
OP
S

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See my instructions above if you want to role back...

Hey I have went through the whole steps of installing the file onto a flash drive, but nothing happens when I put it into my truck! I have tried sticking the usb in before and after turning the key both ways.....I have the flash drive formatted correctly with the Fat32 or whatever it is....I know my usb port works in my truck because it reads my phone when hooked up just fine! any idea whats goin on?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey I have went through the whole steps of installing the file onto a flash drive, but nothing happens when I put it into my truck! I have tried sticking the usb in before and after turning the key both ways.....I have the flash drive formatted correctly with the Fat32 or whatever it is....I know my usb port works in my truck because it reads my phone when hooked up just fine! any idea whats goin on?
Just to be sure, the only thing on the flash drive is a file named "swdl" right? In other words, you extracted the MY13_xxxxx_RA4_16.13.13 file TO the flash drive and not just put the file you downloaded on the flash drive?

OP
OP
S

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to be sure, the only thing on the flash drive is a file named "swdl" right? In other words, you extracted the MY13_xxxxx_RA4_16.13.13 file TO the flash drive and not just put the file you downloaded on the flash drive?

Yes that is correct! I extracted and the file is named swdl or whatever...iso file

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes that is correct! I extracted and the file is named swdl or whatever...iso file
Well, that sucks...they may have disabled the manual update of earlier firmware. Sorry, I got nothing else to try.

OP
OP
S

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, that sucks...they may have disabled the manual update of earlier firmware. Sorry, I got nothing else to try.

No problem, thanks for trying to help!

OP
OP
S

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are welcome. I have never seen the old style radio so I cannot comment on it. . I understand what you are saying and all that matters is if you are happy about it! [emoji16]

I hope that thread and/or MPgrimm2 can help you. He is very knowledgeable about these radios and should have some answer for you. With post to his thread or send him a PM. He replies fairly quick. [emoji6]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGQxtl6eMs Not a great example, but if you look at his radio at the beginning of this video that is what Im talking about! The channel logo was real big on the display, which looks way nicer than a ugly ass faded album artwork logo, or the incorrect channel name lol...I dont get why they switched it and I am very unhappy with how it looks now

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine

Also, thank you for the link to that thread, it should be very helpful!

The channel logos do update. It does take forever but they will change to the current one after some time.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It would appear that I now am in the same boat as the OP

Got a hold of the wrong software and installed it on my RA3, but due to the nonfunctional Uconnect microphone I am trying to downgrade to MY15_RA3_16_16_13.

After formatting the USB and extracting the sole .ISO file to the flash drive and plugging it into the truck... the screen gives nothing, as if it isnt even there.

Any help on this matter would be awesome.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It would appear that I now am in the same boat as the OP

Got a hold of the wrong software and installed it on my RA3, but due to the nonfunctional Uconnect microphone I am trying to downgrade to MY15_RA3_16_16_13.

After formatting the USB and extracting the sole .ISO file to the flash drive and plugging it into the truck... the screen gives nothing, as if it isnt even there.

Any help on this matter would be awesome.
Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

Really isn't a picture to post. I used a Canadian vin to get the 17.17.XX software. After downloading it and using the RA3 which I've installed for the first time, I noticed the Uconnect Bluetooth mic and voice commands are not working in the truck. Truck was orig a RA2 truck and voice commands and Bluetooth mic worked fine.

Now I believe the software update to be the culprit and I want to downgrade but when I plug my USB flash drive in that has the 16.16.XX software on it... the RA3 doesn't display the message that would start the downgrade process. Just seeing if there was another way to downgrade?

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Really isn't a picture to post. I used a Canadian vin to get the 17.17.XX software. After downloading it and using the RA3 which I've installed for the first time, I noticed the Uconnect Bluetooth mic and voice commands are not working in the truck. Truck was orig a RA2 truck and voice commands and Bluetooth mic worked fine.

Now I believe the software update to be the culprit and I want to downgrade but when I plug my USB flash drive in that has the 16.16.XX software on it... the RA3 doesn't display the message that would start the downgrade process. Just seeing if there was another way to downgrade?

Call UConnect Access. They were a big help in getting me fixed up.

Also did you follow the instructions in the TSB for the Canada 17.11.07. There is a procedure to let the radio reset after it installs. The bus needs to go to sleep 2 or three times before the update is complete. It took a good day for mine to get everything from uconnect after the install. Apps, album art, etc.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I believe you are the second person to confirm that this particular firmware package does not allow a downgrade.

Does it allow you to refresh the 17.x.x firmware? If so, you can try switching the drives after restart and/or verification with the desired firmware (at your own risk)...