Uconnect Upgrade obstacles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RideTheSquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Ram Express that originally had the RA1 in it with a standard cluster. I have since upgraded to the premium cluster, added steering wheel volume/channel controls, bluetooth controls in the steering wheel, and the RA2 radio.

I have two questions;

1.) My truck came with the backup camera in the rearview mirror. I need to add microphones into this beast so I can get the full capablity of the hands free but I haven't found any information on how to get the backup camera into the RA2 unit. Does anybody have experience with this to help me out? I found the mirror kit for uconnect on the OEM parts website (or whatever its called) through researching this forum.

2.) I was checking for updates for my uconnect software and using the VIN on my truck makes it impossible since I've upgraded all this wonderful stuff. I called Uconnect and they basically said "We don't know what to tell you, the updates are put together specific to the VIN". Anybody have any ideas on how I can get the software updates into this baby now?

I've searched around these forums but haven't really found anything so I decided to make a thread. Thanks!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Updating your Firmware is quite simple all you need to do is find a donor VIN number and download the firmware to USB stick and download it to your radio via the USB port. Mpgrimm2 has a database with all the current firmware that you can download. If you do not have a donor vin# the most important thing to know is what year your radio is because that tells you what Firmware to put in it. The firmware is not Vin specific the 2013 and 14 RA4 radios for the ram all use the same firmware the 15 and 16 radios have their own versions as well. You can easily find a donor Vin by just cruising around on eBay or for sale sections find a truck the same year as your radio is that has an RA4 and write down the VIN number you go to the Uconnect website type in that VIN number and download the firmware. You can easily by the factory RA2 mirror off of eBay or car-part.com for 50 to 100 the mirror harness is about 25.00 from the dealer. This is simple to install and requires no codes. It is 100% plug and play. I have the part number for the mirror and the harness at home but someone will probably chime in with it before I do .You can also convert your backup camera to show in the screen of your RA4 radio. There are several threads on this as well.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
DIY: 2013-2016 RearView Mirror Upgrade & Harness install

CuylerTech (www.harness-connection.us) makes a harness pigtail to splice the camera wires from the mirror harness to the radio and there is info on the CustomTronix site for what pins to intercept and re route the the back of the radio for the backup camera.

PS: I only have VINs/firmware for RA4/Vp4-NA radios... but I do still have the current 2013 RA2 Fw file.

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
RideTheSquirrel

RideTheSquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are so awesome. I will try the donor vin approach!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Fyi about the radio pn's just to make sure you get the correct year vin to match the ra2 you have...

Small update on Radio Pn's thanks to Atom with his 2016 Factory Ra2 ...

Previous experience is that all the 2013-2016 RAM RA2 radios should be interchangeable.

Per the RA2 Radio upgrade over at OemAutoPartsco website (NavRepair)...

Ram Truck 5.0 RA2 UConnect Multimedia Radio

Interchange Part Numbers: TBD VP2 NA
P68088693AA (AB, AC, AD, AE) <- 2013
P68226685AA (AB, AC, AD, AE) <- 2014
P68228668AA (AB, AC, AD, AE) <- 2015

-- added --
P68271365AC (AA, AB, AD, AE) <- 2016 (Thanks Atom!)

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk