Under hood light connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farecho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was actually looking for the "outside air temperature" sensor, but found the wiring for my underhood light was not connected. In fact there was a "dummy plug" in connector. I figured out how to remove dummy, plugged in wiring from light, all set...light works fine. What would purpose of plug be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 428

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The plug is so you can disconnect the light to remove your hood. Also not all trucks have the underhood light but they all use the same harness. The Express and Tradesman do not come with the underhood light but it is easily added. Your outside air temp sensor is located in your drivers side mirror. There is a small hole if you look at the arm of the mirror that is your sensor.

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, can some kind soul help me out?

I want to unplug that large plug so the light is not always on when hood up. I found the red thumb lock and moved it, but the connection is still solid. Help.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I want to unplug that large plug so the light is not always on when hood up. I found the red thumb lock and moved it, but the connection is still solid. Help.

I found the hood light to be useless. Besides not being on a timer, it only shines on the passenger side, and doesn't even illuminate that. It irritated me, so I removed it. But I left the harness in place so I can get a better light for each side. Also gonna install a switch so I control when they are on.

wink

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

After pulling down on the red clip, press the black tab and pull the plug and harness from each other and you are all set.