Unused wire and plug question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000GM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking under the rear of my 2016 Laramie to see if the harness & connections are there for the factory bed LED lights, which my truck didn't come with. It wasn't there.

Coming out of the main wiring harness I noticed a white wire with a violet/purple stripe. It forms a loop and is taped back onto the harness, with a rubber cap on the end. It's between the tow hitch frame and the spare tire. Also just ahead of that is what looks like a plug with six contacts or individual yellow covers of some sort inside it.

Any ideas what these are? I don't have air suspension, and have the rear camera but no distance sensors. I figure one or the other maybe part of those systems??

Attachments

• IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 102

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 of make her wet liters
Most likely air ride control. If they're capped, then no worries, leave them be. It's cheaper to make 1 full harness then multiple variations.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I suspect that is for the rear sensors. Where exactly are they? How close to the rear bumper?

OP
OP
2000GM

2000GM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are between the spare tire and the receiver hitch, slightly offset towards the driver's side. You really have to get under there on the ground and look up to see them.

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The white with purple stripe is for a third brake light wire. I just used it for my topper brake light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk