Update: 8.4AN_RA4_15_17_5_MY15, fixed weak SXM sound.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This update came out on 15 Jul 15.

I was disappointed that the SXM radio sounded so weak compared to Media-In on my stock Alpine Sys.

Before if I was playing from the USB it felt good but when I changed to SXM the volume dropped a lot and could not feel the sub at all.

After the update SXM is improved. The cool part was the SXM ch was playing a Tool song I like and then when I switched to the USB input another Tool song came on.

This update covers security and NAV issues as well.

Last edited:

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went to update mine only to find out it was already on version 15.17.5. So I just checked my paperwork from when I had my truck in last week (July 16th) and the receipt does say that they did the update. I didn't really notice any change in the quality of my SXM, though.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How do you get this update?

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you get this update?

1: Go here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwjon-P4uvHGAhVLz4AKHSEdBJ8&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.driveuconnect.com%2Fsoftware-update&ei=w_mwVaiyJMuegwShupD4CQ&usg=AFQjCNGD45dBBx-rq-OpIXBP_vELQO8FAA And enter your vehicles VIN to download the update for your vehicle.
2: Double click the downloaded file to extract the "swdl.iso" to your computer.
3: copy the "swdl.iso" file to a usb thumb/flash drive
4: Go to your vehicle and start it up.
5: Insert USB drive into USB port.
6: Within a couple min, the system will find the update and ask you if you would like to update it.
7: push yes and wait about 20 min for it to update.

After the update, the radio will reboot and load back up. when it finds the USB update again, push no if both versions match and remove the USB drive from the vehicle. You should be good to go.

NOTE: Safest way to ensure power wont be lost to the radio is to just leave the engine running while doing the update. If the radio loses power at any point in the update, it could cause the whole radio not to work and it will probably have to be replaced!

Here is a video on youtube of one being updated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2kavHJYz8

Last edited:

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No problem. Remember to leave the engine running while you do the update. If for some reason the radio loses power, it could cause the whole thing to not work and would need to be replaced.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah...I read through the tutorial, downloaded the file to a USB, printed out the instructions for use in the truck when I start the process.

Now I hope I don't render my 8.4N inoperable... :D

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the Alpine system? I noticed a substantial volume difference between XM and my devices, but XM still sounded great. Haven't noticed a change in XM since performing the update.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have the Alpine system? I noticed a substantial volume difference between XM and my devices, but XM still sounded great. Haven't noticed a change in XM since performing the update.

I have the Alpine system and I didn't notice any change in the SXM quality. Mine still has a substantial volume difference between SXM and media-in.