Upgrade 8.4A to 8.4AN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm new to the forum and new to the RAM family... last month I bought a '14 Big Horn with the 8.4A radio. I didn't opt for the navigation, because I really didn't want to pay the $500-$600 upgrade difference for it from the dealer. I've tried searching on here for answers to my question, but haven't had any luck as of yet. So, hopefully some of you know the answer. :)

My question is, is it possible to upgrade the software to have the navigation without having to go to the dealer? I know it's just a simple software upgrade, because during my search for a truck, the dealer confirmed that if I didn't get the navigation, and decided I wanted it down the road, I could bring the truck in and let them upgrade it for the cost of $500 or $600, whatever that comes up to at the time of upgrade. My wife drives the truck on occasion (mainly when it's really cold out), and has decided that she'd like to have the nav system.

Does anyone have the software that I could use to update my truck?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I'm new to the forum and new to the RAM family... last month I bought a '14 Big Horn with the 8.4A radio. I didn't opt for the navigation, because I really didn't want to pay the $500-$600 upgrade difference for it from the dealer. I've tried searching on here for answers to my question, but haven't had any luck as of yet. So, hopefully some of you know the answer. :)

My question is, is it possible to upgrade the software to have the navigation without having to go to the dealer? I know it's just a simple software upgrade, because during my search for a truck, the dealer confirmed that if I didn't get the navigation, and decided I wanted it down the road, I could bring the truck in and let them upgrade it for the cost of $500 or $600, whatever that comes up to at the time of upgrade. My wife drives the truck on occasion (mainly when it's really cold out), and has decided that she'd like to have the nav system.

Does anyone have the software that I could use to update my truck?

Pretty sure that its linked to the specific radio and the VIN of the truck. So my initial answer would be someone else software wont work, and not trying to come of as rude, but why would someone who purchased the software for themselves and paid the fee for it give it away for free?

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The software is already installed on your radio, you just have to get an activation code to unlock it. Unfortunately there is only one way to get that code as it is specific response code to the unique serial number of your radio.

Here is a link to the site to get it activated. Look on the lower right for instructions and get your wallet out.

Uconnect® | Systems | 2013 Ram 1500 8.4A/RA3

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty sure that its linked to the specific radio and the VIN of the truck. So my initial answer would be someone else software wont work, and not trying to come of as rude, but why would someone who purchased the software for themselves and paid the fee for it give it away for free?

Wasn't looking for someone else's software... was just curious if someone had a found a way to hack the system and update it yet. With today's technology and the way people like to jailbreak stuff, I figured this would have been figured out by now.

Was also wondering if there was something for sale that was cheaper than going to the dealer and paying their price. Guess I should have been more clear on that... sorry.

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The software is already installed on your radio, you just have to get an activation code to unlock it. Unfortunately there is only one way to get that code as it is specific response code to the unique serial number of your radio.

Here is a link to the site to get it activated. Look on the lower right for instructions and get your wallet out.

Uconnect® | Systems | 2013 Ram 1500 8.4A/RA3

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.