Upgrade Stereo in Longhorn Crew?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncaabbref

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Longhorn All Options
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 sp Auto
Guys,
I haven't even recieved the truck yet, but I was curious if any of you had upgraded the speaker components only with any noticeable difference. I was an audiophile in the 90s, but now I am an old fart that just wants some clear highs and tight bottom end. (in my bass range that is):roflsquared:

I would like to utilize the factory placement and amp if I can, and are there upgrades to the sub using the factory box?

Thanks,

JH

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a ton of people that have put a subwoofer and new speakers in with great succsess. The only ones to my knowledge that have a little bit of trouble are folks with the factory Alpine stereo.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure you do have the Alpine system. There are a few easy things you can do to help a little. The simple upgrade is the Kicker upgrade available through Chrysler. Another easy upgrade is to add a better sub/amp. You can also swap the dash speakers for 3.5s easily (5 min job). None of this will make a huge difference. If you want to change the door speakers to get a good front stage, that's where it gets to be a major pain. The front 6x9s a mid-range only. The rear 6x9s have treble boosted, and lack lows. I've tried tapping both for a signal input to my amp. The only way to get a full-range signal, is to purchase a summing device/processor. They range from $150 --> $1000. I'm probably going to start with the AudioControl LC6i or LC7i. I've read good reviews, and they are in the $150 range. Another option is to replace everything. This will obviously cost a lot, and you still may lose some features.

OP
OP
ncaabbref

ncaabbref

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 sp Auto
It was nice to have the staging option back in the day with the Audio Control EQT preamp and dual 16 band EQs in the trunk of my show car. I have outgrown all that, but would like to see if upgrading the speakers to say an MB Quart or something else would be beneficial.

If I ordered my truck with literally every option, would the sub be already upgraded to the Kicker? Or do I still have to upgrade that after assembly.
(the truck is currently in paint according to VOTS)

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you can still get the Audio Control EQT lol. If you can find old school MB Quart then I would go with them but the last time I did some research and this was awhile ago they sold out to a korean brand. I could be wrong though. Sub will be the Alpine 8in and is pretty weak from what I've heard, but I like things loud and clear including bass so my idea of sound is different from most. The easiest upgrade is no doubt going to be the kicker upgrade since everything is plug and play. Have fun with it, do some research and sounds like you have a badass truck.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MB Quart is owned by Maxxsonics. You can only eaily change the dash speakers. The rest aren't worhtwhile if you have the Alpine system. The rear door speakers have the most range, but you won't want the best sound coming from behind you.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MB Quart is owned by Maxxsonics. You can only eaily change the dash speakers. The rest aren't worhtwhile if you have the Alpine system. The rear door speakers have the most range, but you won't want the best sound coming from behind you.

Does this go for the Kicker upgrade also? I have the Alpine and was thinking about minor up grades during the winter, I didn't know I was screwed for having the better stereo :(

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Kicker Mopar upgrades are drop-in. They are designed to replace the lousy OE speakers. They will work fine.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Does this go for the Kicker upgrade also? I have the Alpine and was thinking about minor up grades during the winter, I didn't know I was screwed for having the better stereo :(

Not screwed, just more crap to rip out!
Dont get the Kicker upgrade. Ive heard all levels of that stuff and it all sucks!
The price is bogus too!
For the money, you can do SO much better esp if you're a diy guy.
Get on Diyma and look for some old school MBquart components. They rock!
Maybe some old school Boston Acoustic Pros!
Any how..
Whats the budget?

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not screwed, just more crap to rip out!
Dont get the Kicker upgrade. Ive heard all levels of that stuff and it all sucks!
The price is bogus too!
For the money, you can do SO much better esp if you're a diy guy.
Get on Diyma and look for some old school MBquart components. They rock!
Maybe some old school Boston Acoustic Pros!
Any how..
Whats the budget?

In order to do anything with them, you'll need an aftermarket amp. They won't sound good off the OE Alpine amp. In order to install the aftermarket amp, you'll need a processor/LOC with input summing in order to obtain a full-range signal to your new component speakers. It's a domino effect once you get started. Been there...doing that now.

Start by replacing the dash speakers. The OE highs are real muddy. If you still aren't happy, keep going. You don't have to spend a lot at once.

OP
OP
ncaabbref

ncaabbref

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 sp Auto
Guess I will start with 3.5 dash speakers and an active crossover....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the 3.5s are already crossed over to work with the rest of the speakers. If you are going to go all out and gut the truck and start over I would recommend the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty. It looked pretty user friendly when I saw a demo on it. Other wise just replace speakers get a LC2i and go from there. Either way you will get way better sound then what you have now.