Upgrade to U-connect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sasquatch6186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have a 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab...It is a ST and just about everything on it is as basic as you could get. I was wondering if tehre is any way to upgrade my radio that i have now to the U-connect system...i dont really need a nav device but i would like to add a back up camera and have some of the nicer features of my sirius radio available. Is this an option to get a factory style radio upgrade in my truck?

xpst500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4X4 QC SB BIG HORN
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would need an RHB 430 oem unit. Its a touchscreen without the nav. The uconnect module is separate.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would need an RHB 430 oem unit. Its a touchscreen without the nav. The uconnect module is separate.

Actually it's the 430 RBZ

If you currently have the 130 RES that has the phone and voice buttons, you can add the uconnect module which would give you bluetooth. If you also add the USB cable that goes to the glove box from the uconnect module (it's cheap) you can voice control an iPod or USB thumb drive that's plugged into that USB port.

If you want the touchscreen then it's the 430 RBZ. You would still need to add the uconnect module to that one.

Also, when installing the uconnect module, you have to have the dealer flash the sales code for it to work. That's for either radio.

Cameras are a whole other thing. It is possible to add an OEM camera to the 430 RBZ, but it's a lot of wiring, requires a dealer flash when done, and isn't cheap. Something like $250 for the camera kit.

Another option if you get the 430 RBZ is to add a cheaper aftermarket camera, but to display it on the head unit, you would need a lockpick which is also around $250. No dealer flash needed for that though. A flash can be between $50 and $150 depending on the dealer

I had a lockpick on my 430 RBZ, but it gave me problems with the glovebox USB that I use every day, so I removed it and put a rearview mirror with a 4.7" lcd display for my backup camera.

Ray

Last edited:

xpst500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 4X4 QC SB BIG HORN
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the correction Ocelot! I was gonna buy your mygig lockpick but someone got to it first! I got a reply from a mopar engineer about the specific part number on the tailgate backup camera kit for 2009-2012 and according to him the grid lines are from the software side of the mygig unit and not from the camera itself. So I guess if you have the latest firmware then you will be set. Just want to make sure you have the right part number that you can share since no one has answered this question for the longest time in here. I remember someone said it is a hit or miss on getting the active grid lines that turn with the steering wheel. So am I safe to assume to just get the 2009-212 kit then and I'll be set? Looking forward to a definite answer from people who installed it themselves here. Thanks.

Actually it's the 430 RBZ

If you currently have the 130 RES that has the phone and voice buttons, you can add the uconnect module which would give you bluetooth. If you also add the USB cable that goes to the glove box from the uconnect module (it's cheap) you can voice control an iPod or USB thumb drive that's plugged into that USB port.

If you want the touchscreen then it's the 430 RBZ. You would still need to add the uconnect module to that one.

Also, when installing the uconnect module, you have to have the dealer flash the sales code for it to work. That's for either radio.

Cameras are a whole other thing. It is possible to add an OEM camera to the 430 RBZ, but it's a lot of wiring, requires a dealer flash when done, and isn't cheap. Something like $250 for the camera kit.

Another option if you get the 430 RBZ is to add a cheaper aftermarket camera, but to display it on the head unit, you would need a lockpick which is also around $250. No dealer flash needed for that though. A flash can be between $50 and $150 depending on the dealer

I had a lockpick on my 430 RBZ, but it gave me problems with the glovebox USB that I use every day, so I removed it and put a rearview mirror with a 4.7" lcd display for my backup camera.

Ray

backlash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK Old thread but some questions. I'm going from the stock single DIN on a 2012 to the 430RBZ.... What about the microphone for U Connect? Where is it in a factory setup? Also what do you have to modify for the center stack for the larger 430RBZ? IS there a different faceplate? Thanks in advance for your help!!