Upgraded from base radio today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wish I had found this forum earlier. I upgraded to 8.4an from the base radio with the kit from oemautopartsco. I had know idea the speakers could sound so good. No need to upgrade the speakers now. Had I been on this forum before, I would have completed the 7sp fan climate control bazel first, and not used the one with the kit. I have ordered all the harnesses and bazel to do it. Also, upgrading the mirror to the one with the microphones in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 106

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good choice! Definitely looks better with the conversion harness and correct bezel.
You also need the new 7spd HVAC module
Check out the 8.4 DIY upgrade thread
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great!

Did the same on my '16 Ram 1500 Express. You're absolutely correct in that the sound is very fine. Mine came with the voice control. So, it was easy to install with the conversion harness. The voice command works very well with this radio. ENJOY!:cheers:

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wanted to get my steering wheel evic buttons upgraded to contain the phone/voice buttons. I know it is a new switch, but should it plug in as a direct replacement for my current one??

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I wanted to get my steering wheel evic buttons upgraded to contain the phone/voice buttons. I know it is a new switch, but should it plug in as a direct replacement for my current one??

Yep.
2013-2016 VR/Phone button Assy (56054449AA)
$40

If you don't have the rear audio controls, you could add that at the same time or swap it out with a wheel that has everything you need.
DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

PS: It looks like your 2013 truck currently has a 4 speed fan. Be aware that if you do the full factory HVAC bezel, that there are extra steps, parts and a different conversion harness than what is needed for trucks with a factory 7 speed fan. See post 3 and up of the 8.4 Conversion thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep.
2013-2016 VR/Phone button Assy (56054449AA)
$40

If you don't have the rear audio controls, you could add that at the same time or swap it out with a wheel that has everything you need.
DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

PS: It looks like your 2013 truck currently has a 4 speed fan. Be aware that if you do the full factory HVAC bezel, that there are extra steps, parts and a different conversion harness than what is needed for trucks with a factory 7 speed fan. See post 3 and up of the 8.4 Conversion thread.

Yes, thanks to everyone here ( and spending hours on the forum instead of hanging christmas lights), I have ordered the single zone bezel, hvac control, factory harness ( to be stripped), 7spd resistor, and found a supplier online with the connectors ( without the huge minimum order). I plan on making the conversion harness myself.

Its great that so many people spend time to share everything about the RAM. I plan on keeping the truck for many years!