Upgrading my factory stereo.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to upgrade my stock stereo. It's the non-touch screen version with Uconnect, SiriusXM, and a CD player. I'd like to install a factory touch screen w/navigation but I can't find one that's reasonably priced. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 CC. I can't bring myself to blow $1,200 on a OEM stereo. Can anyone recommend a good quality stereo that's reasonably priced, compatible with Uconnect, has navigation & satellite radio that isn't a giant headache to install? I already looked at infotainment.com but their stuff isn't compatible with my budget. ($1,100 and up for OEM stereo w/nav) Thanks in advance for your input & recommendations, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not that well versed in the currently available head units but you might want to start at the iDataLink Maestro site. They make plug and play interfaces that work with our truck's built in systems and steering wheel controls. Once you enter your exact model info it will give you a list of compatible aftermarket head units.

iDatalink - Maestro - Home

Traditionally Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood are the major players, but again, I've been building my systems off of the factory head units for the last four vehicles so there may be other brands now.

OP
OP
KiltedCelt01

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ttubbiola, Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Been REAL close to pulling the trigger on a Kenwood DDX774BH receiver and a set of Kenwood 3 way 6x9 speakers, might do it today. I've got a factory 3.0 POS radio now.

Additional hardware for the install including labor is $453.90. This does NOT include the module for the steering wheel controls, which I don't have in my Express, or the back up camera. The factory back up camera in my rear view mirror is not compatible with the Kenwood unit. To get a back up camera to work with the Kenwood would require the purchase and install of a compatible after market camera.

That said if all would go well with price matching OTD would cost me around $881.00 for the unit installed. I'm still questioning just how LOUD this unit would be with just the receiver and upgraded speakers???? As long as I'm there should I drop another $100-200 on a 600 watt AMP????

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have a '12 you dont need to spend as much as a meastro. the maetstro was really designed for 13+ to mimic the functions of a 5.0 or 8.4 factory screen.

you still need a module, but its a simple canbus module.